The end of the season has kept the League Administration (LA) very busy. Below you will find the descriptions of all the recent cases that LA has handled.
We apologise for the slow public communication regarding these matters and are working on processes that will make it quicker to get the information out.
To make the LA process clearer for the users, but also for LA itself - based on community feedback - we will now follow the following procedures during LA cases* that are sent in:
- LA lets the teams in question know that we're working on the case.
- LA decides a verdict on the cases internally.
- LA informs the teams and the community of the result simultaneously.
* Not all cases that are sent in to LA are serious enough to be solved by LA, but will be solved by Support.
Additionally, we want to address appropriate and inappropriate reactions towards a decision. If you disagree or in any other way question LA's decisions, you are of course allowed to voice your opinion and discuss the topic with fellow NHLGamers, but it needs to be in a mature and constructive way that is rewarding for the community.
In order to reduce inappropriate behaviour, LA has the right to suspend users who:
- Bully or publicly shame LA members (because of a decision or otherwise)
This is all according to rule 4 (code of conduct)
Below are the League Administration cases that have been recently solved:
1) Walkovers agreed by teams mostly among themselves.
- Savo Bears handed WO’s to Polarbears HC
- Redline Bandits handed WO’s to HC Slapshot
- Midnight Owls handed WO’s to Puck Panthers
- Blueline Bandits handed WO's to Saucer Hockey
- The Everblades vs. Czech Infamous. Points split as per team agreement.
KulmalaHengaus vs. Western Dynasty. Points split as per team agreement.
- LA would like to point out that all teams should finish their season fully, no matter if they have a chance to make the playoffs or not.
DEG eSports gave one WO to Korpens Finest
- Short simplified summary: DEG were allowed to scored a goal while their own player was frozen, as Korpens Finest were expecting DEG to clear the puck. LA asked the teams to continue the game from the point of when the freeze happened, but DEG said they don't have the time to play that game.
2) Walkovers to Saucer Hockey over Dynamic
LA awarded Saucer Hockey WO's to over Dynamic as one of the Dynamic players didn't show up for game time and they were unable to replace him.
3) Disqualifications in ECL Lite:
- Devils in Disguise
- Grey Werewolves
Men of Mysteries
- While we're always against quitting, we applaud the captain of Men of Mysteries for contacting both LA and all teams that they were still to play that were going to be affected by Men of Mysteries being disqualified. A big reason behind the team quitting was their goalie's PS4 breaking.
4) Style vs Reality Check HC - Unability to play regular season matchup
League Administration has decided to award Style with two walkover wins (5:0) over Reality Check HC. The ruling is based on all information which LA had on their hands when preparing the decision. Besides that, LA member Panarinz, who is a member of Style, was excluded in all discussions and voting related to the decision in order to come to an unbiased view of the situation.
After analyzing all available content, the decision was made based on the following facts:
Rule 10.2.1. Postponing within Timeframe
Style was taking the active role trying to set up the games to get them played. Looking over all of the communication available to LA, Reality Check HC was in almost all communications only reactive rather than proactive. In addition, Reality Check HC several times made a comment that they are reluctant to play during the beta tuner period. This is not a valid reason to postpone and refuse playing games. Especially as this was the only date where both teams could have played the game based on common availability.
Both teams had several ongoing conversations for scheduling the games, in most cases being proactively initiated by Style. In some of those Reality Check HC didn’t respond to the actual suggestions, but rather suggested game days and times that had already been mentioned as non-functional in the previous message. Reality Check HC also failed to ask LA for help until it was too late, despite LA contacting them earlier to ask if they are able to handle the scheduling.
LA analyzed the whole communication in depth and built a complete overview to come to a decision.
A full disclosure of the communication can be made publicly available if requested by both teams.
4) Team Dynamic internal issues
League Administration (LA) was contacted to clear up a dispute between the captain, assistant captains and other members of the team Dynamic.
One Assistant was claiming the he wants to overtake the team with its current record from the captain Balkanrocket and that he has a lot of support within the team. LA got insights in the case by reaching out to both main guys in this dispute and got provided different angles of this case.
5.8 Team Ownership
The captain is considered to be owner of a team, its name and the divisional spot. Teams can switch their primary captaincy in the off-season only.
As it stands in point 5.8. of the rulebook, teams can't switch their primary captaincy during the season. As there was an ongoing dispute inside the team which got heated up every time BalkanRocket and JaromirSniper had different opinions, we had to make a decision what will be the further steps to clear this dispute.
As also written in point 5.8 of the rulebook, the captain is considered the owner of the team. This captain is BalkanRocket and therefore he is the guy which is allowed to make the final decisions for the team and be responsible for it. LA has formed the opinion that if JaromirSniper will still continue as a member of the team, this dispute will never end and therefore decided that BalkanRocket has the right to drop him off the roster. After he made this decision, we removed JaromirSniper from the roster. BalkanRocket promised us, that he have enough guys ready to play and support him as the captain, that Dynamic will be finishing the season. BalkanRocket has to name two new alternate captains and has to finish the season. If he's not be able to do it, we have to disqualify team Dynamic and he will receive a GM ban for further tournaments (the amount has still to be decided).
Furthermore JaromirSniper has to be aware that he has no right to detract the team of finishing its season.
5) Dynasty vs Deadly Phantoms HC - Fight between gzell60 and jumalpeku
The League Administration (LA) has reviewed the case opened by Dynasty regarding the fighting incident in the game between Dynasty and Deadly Phantoms HC. LA member Mannheimer1938, who is a member of Deadly Phantoms HC, was excluded in all discussions and voting related to the decision in order to come to an unbiased view of the situation.
LA came to the conclusion that there will not be a ban for the player gzell60, nevertheless he was given a warning.
The reasoning is as follows:
From the video footage it is pretty obvious that gzell60 tries to initiate a slash towards the Dynasty player but has no intention to actually accept the fight, which was initiated by the Dynasty player shooting the puck into the net late after the whistle. Unfortunately this slashing leads to immediately accepting the fight, which can be seen in the footage as well. This was taken into account to issue a warning only as LA considers this an accidentally accepted fight.
Nevertheless we are going to make changes to our rules in the future (not now) that will consider the following aspects:
Actions that are leading to a fighting challenge will be disallowed as well as the fighting itself, including:
- Challenging a player to fight after the whistle
- Slashing players after the whistle
- Late shots on goal which bring the fighting challenge up
Therefore we asked both teams to NOT perform any of the above mentioned actions for the remainder of this series. We also would like to point out that any further infraction of this rule will lead to a 1 game ban.
LA would also ask the community for feedback on whether or not you would like us to forbid some of the mentioned actions that cause penalty instigations:
- Actions that are leading to a fighting challenge will be disallowed as well as the fighting itself, including:
- Challenging a player to fight after the whistle
- Slashing players after the whistle
- Late shots after the whistle
The League Administration
Edit: Please note, the changes to the fighting rules have not been made and we are asking you - the community - for feedback on how you would like to see the rules on fighting.