With a brand new season going on it’s also time for the Player Spotlight series to make a comeback. In the latest edition, we asked now JYP goaltender Oskari @sibeelius Grönroos 19 questions and the guy has been on a heater since then. Today it’s finally time for a new article in the series and this time we are featuring Joel @jtorro1233 Tourunen, who's best known for his dominating performances at the blue line of Linkoping HC. We asked him a total of 17 questions and as you already know, some are the same as earlier and some are brand new.
1. What was your first experience with the EASHL mode in NHL?
- My first memory from EASHL was that I played a drop-in match on NHL 13 with a couple of friends. I felt that I liked the game mode from the start and I have played a lot of it since then.
2. What’s the best part of playing NHL 20 for the SHL club Linkoping HC?
- There’s a lot of things that are nice with representing Linkoping, but I feel that the best part is all the support from both staff and fans that cheer for us every game.
3. Who is the loudest player in your team during the games?
4. Describe your perfect meal!
- Fillet of Beef, potato gratin and red wine sauce.
5. If you would be a manager for a day and had to pick one defender, one forward and a goalie to build a new ECL Elite team around. Which players would you choose? You can only choose one from your own team.
- I would choose @Eki as forward cause I think he is the best forward in the game and he is a person that works with everybody. As defender, I would choose @iilmarii because I think he has evolved a lot in a very short time and I think he can be one of the best in the near future. As goalie I would choose @Supreex cause regardless of what team he has played for, he has been one of the big reasons for the team performing really good. He would be an important player regardless of which team he would be playing for.
6. What would you rather be, an average player in the real-life Swedish SHL or the world’s best EA Sports NHL-player in both 1v1 and 6v6?
- I would rather be the best NHL-player in both 1v1 and 6v6 because of the simple reason that I am a very competitive person that always strives to be the best.
7. Do you play or have you played hockey?
- I played hockey for 12 years and I quit when I was 16.
8. Why did you quit?
- I got a couple of concussions during my career and I was afraid that they would do permanent damage to me, and I didn’t have the passion for hockey left.
9. What’s your best hockey memory?
- My best hockey memory would be when Finland won the 2016 Junior World Championships. I was watching with my family and everyone screamed with joy when Kapanen scored the game-winning goal on overtime against Russia.
10. Describe a normal day in Joel Tourunen’s life!
- I get up at 05:00 and get to work that starts one hour later. I work as an electrician and work from 06:00 to 15:30. When the work is done I go home and sleep a couple of hours, then I grab something to eat and after that, I play NHL until it’s bedtime.
11. Pineapple or no pineapple on pizza?
- Pineapple shouldn’t be on pizza.
12. If you would have to spend one day playing NHL and had to listen to one song only, during the whole day, what song would you pick?
- It’s a very hard question but I would either chose The Box with Roddy Ricch or Roses (Imanbek remix) with SAINt JHN and Imanbek.
13. How did you come up with your PSN ID?
- From the beginning, it was my big brother that made an account that was called jtorro123. Both I and he are sometimes called Torro. When my big brother quit playing Playstation I took over his account and during the years I’ve been doing some small edits to the name, like getting rid of the numbers.
14. Who’s the best player in ECL according to you?
- There’s a lot of players that could be the best but I would say that @Eki is the number one right now.
15. What are your top 3 places or countries you want to visit?
- I would like to visit USA, Italy and Nassau.
16. Which team will win ECL Elite?
- I believe and hope that Linkoping will win, and we will do everything to make it happen. But it will be tough against HAVU and JYP.
17. Last question, who’s the greatest Swede in Linköping, you or Cappe?
- Haha, that’s a good question. Cappe is great both on and off the ice, but if Cappe were to play forward and I would play goalie, then we would be equally great .
We thank jtorro-.- for taking the time to sit down with us for this interview. For next week we want you to choose the next player that is going to be interviewed. Please let us know which player you would like to hear more from below in the comments!
Photo credit: Elias Gammelgård