Many of you have been asking for it, and here we are - delivering. The Summer Cup has been a very nice tradition for three consecutive years already, bringing the community together and giving us something to play for during the summer months. This year has been a bit different in the sense that interest around NHL gaming is ramping up and we've been hosting a number of great leagues and tournaments including live events - with more to come. Therefore we made the decision to postpone the start of our beloved casual tourney.
Despite the delay, the Summer Cup is now here! Due to community feedback we will be suggesting altering some aspects of this iteration, mainly with the drafting in order to ensure a more even spread of talent throughout the teams in the tournament. For the draft, we will be giving you guys two alternatives to choose between, we'll be implementing the more popular one.
Our suggestions are:
1. Captains will be seeded into baskets based on perceived skill level (based on previous season - Elite, Pro or Lite). During the first two rounds captains get to pick one player from each of the two divisions that they do not represent. (In the case of the player representing a team that was relegated from or promoted to Elite at the end of ECL 8, the player will be interpreted as an Elite player).
2. Keep it as it has been in the past - no restrictions apply to the drafting.
Please submit your votes/opinions in the comments section.
What is the Summer Cup?
The Summer Cup is a draft-type league aimed at both experienced community members and complete rookies. The stated goal of this tournament is to improve networking within the community and introduce new players to the great world of NHLGamer. Our Summer Cup is always a great venue for prospects to open up doors for entry into the upcoming ECL season. The same promise remains for season 4, only this time we’ll deliver better!
Last year over 400 players took part in our tournament, which were drafted in a quite nice fashion (compared to some other years 😅) during the live stream. As always, we will need a good number of volunteer captains that are up for the challenge, so please consider your availability to act as a Summer Cup captain.
Similarly to last summer, we will not be having any prizes for this season. We’ve received valuable feedback from our community members and based on this, the decision was made that a Summer Cup without prizes will best serve the original purpose of the tournament – to increase networking and allow new players entry to our community.
SUMMER CUP 4 FRAMEWORK
- Team building: No more than 2 players from a single ECL 8 team are allowed to play on the same Summer Cup team. This rule applies to the final rosters, after transfers and free agents.
- Team names: The Summer Cup will be played in dedicated EASHL teams which will have "NG" as a prefix - for example "NG Golden Knights".
- Sign-ups: To rule out unfortunate circumstances when it comes to player positioning, holidays and other aspects, the sign-ups will follow a clear structure, allowing captains to recognize fitting players more easily.
- Draft procedure: The team captains will be taking part in a snake draft, where all of the signed up players will be drafted during one night.
- Summer Cup Season 4 will take place on the PS4 version of NHL 19.
- Last day to sign up is Saturday 3rd of August 2019.
- Players sign up using the registration tool linked at the bottom of the post.
- Due to the latency issues experienced by the North American players in Summer Cup 2, Summer Cup 4 is only for European players.
- All signed up players are aimed to be seeded into teams with a size of 10 players (may vary).
- Out of all registrations, NHLGamer Staff will select an according number of team captains from the players that offered to take on a captaincy role in their sign-up post - anyone is allowed to apply for it.
- Team captains will receive a draft sheet on Sunday 4th of August, containing all signed up players and relevant information in a structured form.
- Team captains will be taking part in a live draft event on Sunday 4th of August picking their roster until all players are seeded. The draft will be streamed live on our Twitch channel.
- All games are played 6vs6 using dedicated EASHL teams.
- The Summer Cup is set to start on the week of August 5th and aimed to be finished before the release of NHL 20.
- Full rules will be released after the registration is over.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
To participate, make sure you are logged in or create an account first, visit the sign-up page and fill in all fields of the registration form like below - make sure the player positions in your Player Card are up-to-date so captains know who they are drafting! You can update your Player Card on the "Edit Player" page.
Sign-up page: Click here!
Let's make this year's Summer Cup at least as memorable as the previous ones! Looking forward to seeing you on the ice!