The journey of an aspiring hockey writer

l-Furyan-l

• Members

Hi guys,

Hopefully you enjoyed my recent ECL 5 Elite Season Report. If you didn't, thats cool too. I've always approached the topics I've written about here at NHLGamer with a "what would I be interested in reading"-mindset. Usually that lines up pretty well with what y'all are interested in - we do share quite a particular interest in 'EASHL 6v6 gaming' - but sometimes it doesn't and that is just fine. Trying to please everyone is pretty much an impossible task, so in the end you just do your best and hope people enjoy your work.

I have been writing for NHLGamer for about 18 months (this was my first feature) which actually doesn't sound like a lot, but to me it feels like it has been quite some time. Now, if you feel like this is starting to sound like an eulogy - that is not my intent. I am not dying nor am I giving up writing for NHLGamer com.

What I will say is that you probably won't see any major stories or features like the Elite Season Report on NHLGamer from me for a while...

To most of you, a statement like that probably doesn't matter. Again, completely understandable. From the perspective of the average NHLGamer "consumer" - as long as the light stays on and new stories containing the proper information is released, all is good. It makes sense.

However, I'd like to think that some of you out there have come to enjoy my particular approach to writing. I know I have certainly appreciated all the feedback I have received from you all during these 18 months - both public and in PM, both positive and negative.

So, why am I opening up to tell you all of this?

Well, the reason I won't have as much time to dedicate towards writing about virtual hockey is that I am trying my hand at writing about actual hockey. About two months ago, I quit my regular 9 to 5-job to start my own business and try to make it as a hockey writer.

To be honest, making that leap scared the living shit out of me and every day since I made the decision has been a solid mixture of "what the hell am I doing" and "this might actually work". We'll have to wait and see which side of that particular coin ends up on top.

I got to be honest though, writing "for" you guys here at NHLGamer and listening to all of your feedback is what inspired me to believe I was capable of making this journey and I will always be thankful for that. 

For that reason, I would really love it if I could have you join me on this thing I am attempting - to have you keep reading the stuff I am writing. Should you find the material interesting of course, that is!

In my current situation - every Twitter follow, re-tweet or direct click on a particular story is huge. Every uplifting word or constructive criticism on something I wrote, a valuable lesson! Anyway, enough talking, here's where you'll find me:

If you've made it all the way down this lengthy post, I'd like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to read it. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all NHLGamers - may 2018 be our greatest year yet!

Take care,
Hampus

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, The_Alpha_Furyan said:

Hi guys,

Hopefully you enjoyed my recent ECL 5 Elite Season Report. If you didn't, thats cool too. I've always approached the topics I've written about here at NHLGamer with a "what would I be interested in reading"-mindset. Usually that lines up pretty well with what y'all are interested in - we do share quite a particular interest in 'EASHL 6v6 gaming' - but sometimes it doesn't and that is just fine. Trying to please everyone is pretty much an impossible task, so in the end you just do your best and hope people enjoy your work.

I have been writing for NHLGamer for about 18 months (this was my first feature) which actually doesn't sound like a lot, but to me it feels like it has been quite some time. Now, if you feel like this is starting to sound like an eulogy - that is not my intent. I am not dying nor am I giving up writing for NHLGamer com.

What I will say is that you probably won't see any major stories or features like the Elite Season Report on NHLGamer from me for a while...

To most of you, a statement like that probably doesn't matter. Again, completely understandable. From the perspective of the average NHLGamer "consumer" - as long as the light stays on and new stories containing the proper information is released, all is good. It makes sense.

However, I'd like to think that some of you out there have come to enjoy my particular approach to writing. I know I have certainly appreciated all the feedback I have received from you all during these 18 months - both public and in PM, both positive and negative.

So, why am I opening up to tell you all of this?

Well, the reason I won't have as much time to dedicate towards writing about virtual hockey is that I am trying my hand at writing about actual hockey. About two months ago, I quit my regular 9 to 5-job to start my own business and try to make it as a hockey writer.

To be honest, making that leap scared the living shit out of me and every day since I made the decision has been a solid mixture of "what the hell am I doing" and "this might actually work". We'll have to wait and see which side of that particular coin ends up on top.

I got to be honest though, writing "for" you guys here at NHLGamer and listening to all of your feedback is what inspired me to believe I was capable of making this journey and I will always be thankful for that. 

For that reason, I would really love it if I could have you join me on this thing I am attempting - to have you keep reading the stuff I am writing. Should you find the material interesting of course, that is!

In my current situation - every Twitter follow, re-tweet or direct click on a particular story is huge. Every uplifting word or constructive criticism on something I wrote, a valuable lesson! Anyway, enough talking, here's where you'll find me:

If you've made it all the way down this lengthy post, I'd like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to read it. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all NHLGamers - may 2018 be our greatest year yet!

Take care,
Hampus

Good guy Hampus!

• Like 1

It has been nice to read your stuff here in nhlgamer. It is true that you never are or will be able to satisfy everyone with what you write. Trying to do that just creates too many angles and point of views to an article. 

Good luck with the writing career! And keep the passion alive. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Since this IS a pre-dominantly Finnish website (and forum) - I thought you guys might be interested in my latest EP story on Finnish Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Kasperi Kapanen:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/article.php?id=243

"I feel like I’ve proven that I belong in the NHL. My role right now isn’t that of a Auston Matthews or a William Nylander on that first line – but all I can do is play the hand I’ve been dealt, as well as I can.”

GettyImages-895649272-768x432.jpg.4f3a1972f3058aa8c9aa365fe3e88a97.jpg

• Like 6

• Members

Another story on a Finnish prospect ahead of the Olympics, this time Eeli Tolvanen of Jokerit: 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/article.php?id=257

"So what went wrong for Tolvanen?

A closer look reveals the wingers’ point production in the KHL had actually started to slow down just ahead of the WJC, but it appears a sub-par performance in the tournament hasn’t exactly helped Tolvanen regain his confidence."

BB171111BB864-768x432.jpg.8069d6c3f40640ded30f3e899865c36f.jpg

• Like 4

• 10 months later...
  • Members
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:03 AM, The_Alpha_Furyan said:

So far, so good. One year later and I am still alive, haha. "This might actually work" ;)

I wanted to take the time to share the latest story I wrote for EP Rinkside (Eliteprospects); a lengthy, somewhat personal piece on my hometown of Södertälje and its local hockey club "SSK" - a true talent factory that has helped develop NHL players like Anze Kopitar and David Pastrnak. You might like it!

Here it is:

• Like 3
  • Love it! 5