The ECL Division System thead

its already 10 new teams since last tournament and registration hasent even opened yet, guess even more to come.

Why not divide it, the teams that want to have a division system will start with that and the one's who doesnt stay out off it, and can be added on after a season when they see how awesome the system is.

Anyway, all new teams kind off ruin the point as i see it.

I do like the division system but are we there yet? I don't think we can start with the division system until the next release of NHL in autumn.
If we are only going to play one more tournament/division before the summer then I think this is way too late to be able to start with divisions.

We cannot play only two times per release with the division system, it's way too few.

My suggestion: 
* One more tournament before summer
* Discuss during summer break how everything should be set up with a division format
* Implement it to NHL Gamer and have it ready by the next release
* Play divisions, 4 times per release

@pnordetun

Is that 10 new teams full of brand new players or 10 teams made up of players who played the previous ECL?

As long as players did play ECL you can work out a way to place them in divisions imo. As for new players, I guess the only way to go is bottom division.

@tokFan

Who knows, maybe the guys in charge had actually been working on it behind the scenes for months since I had talked with Kenu about it in depth before... BUT realistically (and disappointingly) I think nothing is ready / done and there will be one more tournament on NHL16 and it will be regular groups. 

As for discussing it during Summer, no one will talk about it then because I predict no one will go on this website when there is no tournament happening. We may as well talk about it now since I opened the thread.

Pretty sure you cant cover all bases at first try, not saying you shouldnt try, but i think it will be more efficient to just go with one option (id guess choose by voting) and see what difficulties it will bring and solve them, in any case no one wants to be playing nhl during summer

• Like 2

I kind of agree with the "just pick one option and run with it" idea. I would even have the guys in charge bypass the community which for the most part doesn't care anyway.

As for playing NHL in Summer, I am not too sure about that (although I have nothing to back up my claim...). I think people don't play NHL in Summer mostly because there is nothing to play for, and I think if a tournament was taking place from, say, May till the end of July the majority of people would play it. For example if we had 3 seasons per year. With an estimated 2.5 months for a tournament and one month between seasons, if the first tournament started October 1st the 3rd one would end mid-July. I think that should work for NHL17.

My opinnion is that lets make divisions. DIV 1 has 16 teams.. They play 4 times against each others in regular season. best 6 teams goes to straight to playoffs. 7,8,9,10 plays pittyplayoffs 7vs10 and 8vs9. Best of two serie. Winners goes to playoffs too.. So there will be 8 teams in playoffs. Playoffs: best of seven game serie.

Division 1 worst ranked team will relegate automatically. And the second worst will play against div.2 second best team.

Division.2 Has also 16 teams and same season and playoffs system like DIV.1 Winner will promote automatically. And the second play against div.1 second worst ranked team game seven playoff serie. Winner will play next season in div.1.The worst 3 ranked teams has to play relegation group game to stay in div.2.

Division 3 can have a 4 groups same much teams like last ECL. Every group best ranked 8 teams goes to playoffs. so its 32 teams same playoff system like the last season in ECL. Finalist goest to promoting group games.. and the semifinalist losers play against each others "bronze game", and the bronze game winner goes also the promoting group games.

So the div.3 best three ranked and div.2 three worst ranked teams will play own season. They play two times against each others and the group best 3 ranked teams will play next season in div.2.

Only problem is that div.1 and div.2 regular seasons has to last longer than div.3 because div.3 teams has much more. So the season will end same time each divisions. So they can play relegate/promoting match before divisions start a new season with the promoting/relegation teams.

It would be also nice that team will get marked on their website what they have won each season. Like "Champion of division 3, 2014", Champion of division 2,2015", Relegated division 1, 2016"..etc.

Its just my opinnion :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billy44205 said:

I kind of agree with the "just pick one option and run with it" idea. I would even have the guys in charge bypass the community which for the most part doesn't care anyway.

As for playing NHL in Summer, I am not too sure about that (although I have nothing to back up my claim...). I think people don't play NHL in Summer mostly because there is nothing to play for, and I think if a tournament was taking place from, say, May till the end of July the majority of people would play it. For example if we had 3 seasons per year. With an estimated 2.5 months for a tournament and one month between seasons, if the first tournament started October 1st the 3rd one would end mid-July. I think that should work for NHL17.

Not saying people wont do it, just saying no one wants to, if the option is to play the tournament before that. 

Im pro divisions but i think the most important thing is that ALL teams, regardless of division should be able to win the Division 1 playoffs, every season.

So for example if Division 1 is 20 teams maybe 12 should go straight to the playoffs. Team 13,14,15 and 16 play a best out of 7 against each other in a "small playoff" starting with the "semi finals" and the winning team takes playoff spot 13. 

Division 2, regular season with playoff and all but instead of playing the playoff final the two teams left standing should get playoff spot 14 and 15 and a promotion to Division 1 for NHL17, ECL Season 1. 

The final playoff spot should be given to a team from division 3 after they´ve had their playoffs or however it might work when all the teams have signed up.

• Like 1

I completely disagree with the idea of getting bottom division teams spots in the top division playoffs. I don't want to elaborate much on the subject but basically it comes down to this: For me being last in top division should be more valuable than being first in bottom division.

Now, what I really want to say is a bit off-topic, but fuck that, I opened this thread I can do what I want damnit! So here are some random thoughts on what could be next on this website, divisions and others.

• I think there should be 3 divisions and 3 seasons of ECL per year.
  • I also think there could be in parallel some sort of Cup tournament thing in a different format.
  • I also think there needs to be at least one tournament admin per division.
  • I also think webmaster stuff / coding and tournament administration stuff should be clearly separate. For instance Kenu should focus on developping website features as he's one of only 2 guys who can do it, and let Janbo and the boyzzz run the shows.
  • I also think I'd like to see something like a Finland vs. Sweden (vs. rest of Europe? Meh...) super series.
  • I also think the tournament schedule and rulebook should be available at least one week before the first game day in the schedule.
  • I also think people should vote for end of tournament trophies, not because it would be a better pick than if the admins pick but because it creates investment in the league.
  • I think there should be historical data of infractions and bans available somewhere, easy to find.
  • I think I'm done for now...
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2016 at 1:55 PM, Billy44205 said:

I completely disagree with the idea of getting bottom division teams spots in the top division playoffs. I don't want to elaborate much on the subject but basically it comes down to this: For me being last in top division should be more valuable than being first in bottom division.

I totally agree, the problem with "real divisions" were only the teams from division 1 have a chance to win is that we are playing a game. Lets say a top team splits up and 2-3 from each side start a new team. These teams needs to start from division 3 without being able to win the whole thing, I´m not a fan of that idea because clubs split up all the time and it will ALWAYS be like that until we have pro teams with players having full time salaries, as if that is ever going to happen. So as long as its casual fun all teams should be able to win regardless of division but of course if we decide to go for division the vast majority of the playoff-spots needs to be given to the teams in the highest division.

Like I said if Division 1 is 20 teams maybe 13 out of 16 playoff-spots should be division 1 teams. When it comes to myself I wouldnt want to play ECL if my team didnt even in theory have a chance of winning.

11 minutes ago, Peacerich_se said:

Lets say a top team splits up and 2-3 from each side start a new team. These teams needs to start from division 3 without being able to win the whole thing

Not necessarily. I don't know why you assume said new teams must start from the bottom division because it doesn't have to be the case depending on how your division system works.

12 minutes ago, Peacerich_se said:

When it comes to myself I wouldnt want to play ECL if my team didnt even in theory have a chance of winning.

Then it just means you don't really like the idea of divisions, which is fine. I do hope though that others will find value in winning the lower division tournaments.

Edited by Billy44205
  • Like 1