Standardize in-game player names?

Enforce standardization of in-game player names?  

358 members have voted

The results of this poll are hidden permanently..

Since the poll changed i'll update my answer as well:

Actual names - only Elite would gain from this since it's the only division more widely broadcasted. Forcing this to Pro and Lite as well would be irrelevant.

Realistic names (not real names) - Pointless altogether.

PSN IDs - If you want to force how player names are used in ALL divisions, i think this would be best way to go about it.

Nicknames are widely used in other esports so going with market leaders is never bad idea. They are unique unlike real names and if that's not enough to distinguish players from each other there are also teams and jersey numbers to help with it. As in real hockey, everyone knows who number 8 for Washington Capitals is.

Also, player names could be used as space for advertisement in casted tournaments, like in csgo for example.

Edited by Lionite

1 minute ago, janbonator said:

Those who know me probably could have guessed I voted No.

I have two questions: Why & How?

The latter probably needs some clarification. Would NHLGamer require all the players to send a copy of their passport? How would this data be handled and secured?

Why: To make it less complicated/more streamlined for people who watch to get to know who plays where.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb janbonator:

The latter probably needs some clarification. Would NHLGamer require all the players to send a copy of their passport? How would this data be handled and secured?

No. I edited the poll to say "actual/realistic". If you want to hide your real identity, just come up with a regular name.

6 minutes ago, cHIIMEERa said:

Why: To make it less complicated/more streamlined for people who watch to get to know who plays where.

Then it would be best to go after nick/user -name.

Edit: If you can use all realistic names...

Edited by Tauri

2 minutes ago, cHIIMEERa said:

Is it really so, though? It's pretty much impossible to see the names on the jerseys during play. On some jerseys it's even hard to see the number. The only time they really pop up is after a goal. Before the puck drops the names that are visible are actually PSN usernames, so in a sense it would be more streamlined and less confusing if the player names matched the PSN usernames.

5 minutes ago, gzell60 said:

No. I edited the poll to say "actual/realistic". If you want to hide your real identity, just come up with a regular name.

Alright, well that solves the data security issue. On the other hand, you wouldn't believe what kind of names exist in reality. For example, Tarzan is a legit first name in Finland.. 😀

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Is it really so, though? It's pretty much impossible to see the names on the jerseys during play. On some jerseys it's even hard to see the number. The only time they really pop up is after a goal. Before the puck drops the names that are visible are actually PSN usernames, so in a sense it would be more streamlined and less confusing if the player names matched the PSN usernames. 

Well with this mindset no one would ever learn who anyone is im afraid. idk, call me boring for being for proper labeling, organisation and unity. It just helps to add to the professionalism on this page, which is what we're after here.

Edited by cHIIMEERa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cHIIMEERa said:

Well with this mindset no one would ever learn who anyone is im afraid.

The way I see it, the players on the ice are more like artists with an alias, and people have never had difficulties distinguishing between "Eminem" and "50 cent". In fact, I think the room for creativity makes it easier, not more difficult, for identifying players. I probably wouldn't remember half the players or their play-styles that I do now if they used authentic names.

• Like 3

• Members

This really comes down to the divergence between hockey and "(e)-Sports" ( @MartindalexC), in my opinion.

If you want to embrace the hockey aspect of EASHL and 6v6 gaming, you enforce player names. If you want to lean NHLGamer more towards esports, you have the players skate with their PSN-IDs on their backs.

Personally, I don't care either way (and voted as such) but it is an interesting discussion. Good topic @gzell60 :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cHIIMEERa said:

I have to question this.

Name me one actual esport that have this rule, please. 

Some, like CS GO, showcase the name of the players sometimes, along with theit GTs,, but nobody (I dare say) calls Get_Right Christopher Alesund during streams.

There's a difference between esports and "real" sports, and esport should, from a marketing perspective, keep the differences between the two forms of competition to differentiate themselves from the other.

I do agree regarding the more obscene gamertags, though. They dont help any scene that wants to be taken seriously..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lainzndr said:

I have to question this.

Name me one actual esport that have this rule, please. 

Some, like CS GO, showcase the name of the players sometimes, along with theit GTs,, but nobody (I dare say) calls Get_Right Christopher Alesund during streams.

There's a difference between esports and "real" sports, and esport should, from a marketing perspective, keep the differences between the two forms of competition to differentiate themselves from the other.

I do agree regarding the more obscene gamertags, though. They dont help any scene that wants to be taken seriously..

Same in NBA 2K** which is very big in USA.

• Like 1

• Members
1 minute ago, gzell60 said:

Poll adjusted, please cast another vote if you did already :) 

Yeah, re-voted. Chose PSN ID's as its the most esports-leaning option available.

3 minutes ago, tbnantti said:

What is wrong with identifying players by their PSN ID? I agree with what everyone else said about broadcasts using the username.

Would you be "Teh-Beh-Nantti" or "TB n' Antti" on an international broadcast? 😏

30 minutes ago, janbonator said:

The way I see it, the players on the ice are more like artists with an alias, and people have never had difficulties distinguishing between "Eminem" and "50 cent". In fact, I think the room for creativity makes it easier, not more difficult, for identifying players. I probably wouldn't remember half the players or their play-styles that I do now if they used authentic names.

I agree with you, with the exeption that your psn id is your alias. Why should you have 2 aliases for people to relate to, but no real name. Makes no sense to me.

• SCL Staff

The biggest broadcast in esport must be League of Legends, whereas they refer to every player with the online-ID, in our case PSN-ID.

I’m pretty sure they have some rule set about the ID, or part of the ID, to somewhat be able to pronounce for the english casters and followers (as even the korean pros play by this standard).

I think this should be the way to go. I am as much for real names but well.. All in all, Riot Games cast and broadcast is second to none and anyone who have watched EU LCS or Worlds knows it. Worth taking notes from IMO.

Edited by ma0niii
  • Like 5