Standardize in-game player names?

Enforce standardization of in-game player names?  

358 members have voted

The results of this poll are hidden permanently..

I think most people are missunderstanding this. Orelse it might be me. We’re talking about in-game names here. A player name, that in addition with our psn id (that isnt going anywhere) gives us a complete name + nick. Viktor ”cHIIMEERa” Ghamari in my case. Right?

Or does people still in all seriousness prefer Kimbo ”Kimbo_Slice” Slice? :D

1 minute ago, cHIIMEERa said:

I think most people are missunderstanding this. Orelse it might be me. We’re talking about in-game names here. A player name, that in addition with our psn id (that isnt going anywhere) gives us a complete name + nick. Viktor ”cHIIMEERa” Ghamari in my case. Right?

Love your example. :D

• Thanks 1

• Members
1 minute ago, cHIIMEERa said:

Best solution would imo be "-  Kimbo_Slice", just have the PSN-ID as a surname and leave first name empty

• Like 4

• Members
3 minutes ago, Mikka said:

Best solution would imo be "-  Kimbo_Slice", just have the PSN-ID as a surname and leave first name empty

Yeah, this is where I am at.

It helps broadcasters (Finnish or International) to quickly identify who scored and assisted by the names that show up next to the scoreboard right after a goal. My in-game name right now says "Riddick" and has for years and, sure, most people (in the community) can connect that to "The_Alpha_Furyan" because I've been around for a long time, but for a broadcaster coming in with no knowledge and just "The_Alpha_Furyan, LD #77" written down in his note - he's gonna wonder who the hell "Riddick" is.

It's really just to simplify. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

You're saying "You know "Juizki" is amazing" isn't a good name on broadcast?

Personally I don't care, but I know not everybody wants to have their real name being used online. It's way different when you have live events where people have to show up and show their faces anyway.

First I didn't really care which way this goes. I'm all for real names, but now that someone brought up the discussion with other esports using usernames for identification in broadcasts I think that's the way to go here. Simple and fair for everyone.

• Like 2

• Members
33 minutes ago, Eeduu said:

Psn ID is way to go, but i dont blame if we start using real names. Both way looks more professional than now.

But how about numbers in name? Just leave them off,or replace them with letters? 

Leave them off imo, 99,99% of the time they aren't even relevant

And people who are using numbers to portray letters are, well, using numbers to portray letters

Edited by Mikka

The most important thing in this discussion is that viewers & people doing the broadcast can recognize player fast. That's how this is being done in other games as well.

Best way for it? PSN ID or abbreviation from it. The real names are fine in articles, announcements etc. Lets be normal and do this the easy way.

Can't be that hard, folks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I myself would prefer real names, as it brings a more professional feel to the game (Elite only of course). I think it makes it easier for commentators to distinguish a player and would most likely also be easier to remember, also I don't see why using your real name would be a problem for someone who's playing in Elite taking to consideration the finals are being played live anyway, where, most likely your identity/real name will be revealed anyhow. I do understand some people want to be anonymous, and some want more recognition, and prefers using their real name. But I reckon using PSN id's is in favor of the majority. That's just my two cents and I would love to see players in Elite using their real names as in my opinion, it brings a much more professional feel to the game and more recognition to individual players. 🙄

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chaostive said:

I myself would prefer real names, as it brings a more professional feel to the game (Elite only of course). I think it makes it easier for commentators to distinguish a player and would most likely also be easier to remember, also I don't see why using your real name would be a problem for someone who's playing in Elite taking to consideration the finals are being played live anyway, where, most likely your identity/real name will be revealed anyhow. I do understand some people want to be anonymous, and some want more recognition, and prefers using their real name. But I reckon using PSN id's is in favor of the majority. That's just my two cents and I would love to see players in Elite using their real names as in my opinion, it brings a much more professional feel to the game and more recognition to individual players. 🙄

But the thing is, esports in general dont use real names, and its for a good reason - it wants to differ from "real" sports. I also understand that some people gets....exited, for lack of a better word, to hear their names pronounced by a finnish commentator, but why should the EA NHL scene do something that the biggest esports in the world dosnt? Theres no sense in it. PSN IDS's the way to go, though. 

Edited by Lainzndr
  • Like 5

4 minuuttia sitten, Lainzndr kirjoitti:

But the thing is, esports in general dont use real names, and its for a good reason - it wants to differ from "real" sports. I also understand that some people gets....exited, for lack of a better word, to hear their names pronounced by a finnish commentator, but why should the EA NHL scene do something that the biggest esports in the world dosnt? Theres no sense in it. PSN IDS's the way to go, though. 

Why shouldn't it? Just because other eSport players, in other genres of games in eSports don't do it doesn't necessarily mean it's stupid of us to do it. In my opinion, I don't see the point in the player using their real name if it were for an example Counter Strike, or another FPS game. For some reason, it makes much more sense to me when it comes to NHL. Yet I have nothing against using PSN id's. 

• ECL Staff
4 minutes ago, Chaostive said:

Why shouldn't it? Just because other eSport players, in other genres of games in eSports don't do it doesn't necessarily mean it's stupid of us to do it. In my opinion, I don't see the point in the player using their real name if it were for an example Counter Strike, or another FPS game. For some reason, it makes much more sense to me when it comes to NHL. Yet I have nothing against using PSN id's. 

You can't just disregard Lain's point just because you 'feel' it would be better with real names. Besides, the standard is usernames, there is no reason why we should 'try' to be unique for such a widespread standard. 

• Like 2

1 minuutti sitten, MartindalexC kirjoitti:

You can't just disregard Lain's point just because you 'feel' it would be better with real names. Besides, the standard is usernames, there is no reason why we should 'try' to be unique for such a widespread standard. 

I didn't disregard it at all, just expressed my opinion. Anyhow, I'm fine with however it'll be. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Chaostive

1 minuutti sitten, MartindalexC kirjoitti:

You kind of did in that you didn't respond to his point regarding esports trying to distance themselves from regular sports. 

In a way I did cover that, but it makes sense. All I'm saying is personally, I'd prefer real names being used and that's that. 🤔

Real names do look more professional, but I think esports titles should leave that to real sports and try to be more casual and viewer friendly because there's a limit to how professional you can make a game look when you have players crouching down and spinning around (L1),  chopping their stick every time the puck is dumped in, diving on ice in frustration etc. Also, no offence to anybody, but for anyone who's not from northern Europe or a part of this community, something short and sweet like "Eki" is easier to learn/recognize than "Tammenpaa". (I don't know if i spelled that correctly sorry)

• Thanks 1
  • Love it! 1
  • Sad 1