34 minuuttia sitten, MartindalexC kirjoitti:

I live in North West England and have a ping of around 12-13ms to the EASHL servers located in Dublin, Ireland. Therefore, unless you have some voodoo going on, I don't see how it's possible for you to have had a max. ping of around 12ms. :D 

I think EA has server located in Germany also. 

Atleast their customer service gave me 2 IP-addresses to traceroute when I was fighting with laggy connection during most of the NHL18.

Other one seems to be somewhere in middle Europe IAW traceroute ”jumps”..

Edited by Oicteppotulppu

And as you know...

EA changed HUT from P2P to served based. So now EASHL is sharing the server/connection capacity with HUT. 

Do you really think EA added some more connnections to their server rooms...or more/enough of server capacity?

I have to admit I strongly doubt that based on history how they are handling things. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MartindalexC said:

I live in North West England and have a ping of around 12-13ms to the EASHL servers located in Dublin, Ireland. Therefore, unless you have some voodoo going on, I don't see how it's possible for you to have had a max. ping of around 12ms. :D 

I have no clue how the eashl connection works. But I do know that my router pings a server in California for eashl. I think this has to do with stats etc. If I try to geo-filter just europe I get stuck in dr. But then the router tells me its peer connection, and I can also see my teammates ISPs. If it was only a dedicated server, why would my router care for teammates isps hmm.

I contacted ea about the californian server but they had no clue. Their response was that different countries connect to different servers.

And my 24ms in-game shows up as 54ms on my router, so apparently that is also bullshit.

To sum it up...nobody seem to know how this shit works.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, iSvamp said:

There is some voodoo going on
Then
My apartment in Jönköping: 26ms - 1369km from Dublin    1000/100 Fiber
My parents' house in Örebro: 16ms - 1484km from Dublin   100/100 Fiber

Now
My apartment in Jönköping: 29ms

It's actually not voodoo. 9_9 Routing makes a big difference - the packets take a longer trip than a straight line distance on a map.

Here's a map to illustrate the European internet backbone architecture:

rb136f1.gif

The map is old but gives the right idea. Finns will be happy to know that a new cable is being installed in the Baltic Sea between Finland and Germany, i.e. bypassing Sweden and Denmark and giving better performance.

6 hours ago, Egyptologen said:

I have no clue how the eashl connection works. But I do know that my router pings a server in California for eashl. I think this has to do with stats etc. If I try to geo-filter just europe I get stuck in dr. But then the router tells me its peer connection, and I can also see my teammates ISPs. If it was only a dedicated server, why would my router care for teammates isps hmm.

I contacted ea about the californian server but they had no clue. Their response was that different countries connect to different servers.

And my 24ms in-game shows up as 54ms on my router, so apparently that is also bullshit.

Typical customer support.. "make sure you have the power cable plugged in, thank you and have a nice day!".

I wouldn't trust the in-game network performance too much either, but it usually gives a decent general idea.

If you want a more accurate result, I'd suggest opening up Command Prompt and typing "ping -n 100 159.153.76.33". It will run a series of 100 ping commands to the Dublin server. My results looked like what one would expect from a 3rd world connection that I have to put up with: Minimum = 59ms, Maximum = 102ms, Average = 64ms

Hope that helps someone. Now I'll go and cry myself to sleep and dream of 21st century.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 tuntia sitten, Egyptologen kirjoitti:

The ping  is not bullshit, game shows only time for a packet to reach servers, but usually ping is measured as round trip (request and response) which is what tour router says.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, iSvamp said:

There is some voodoo going on
Then
My apartment in Jönköping: 26ms - 1369km from Dublin    1000/100 Fiber
My parents' house in Örebro: 16ms - 1484km from Dublin   100/100 Fiber

Now
My apartment in Jönköping: 29ms

Remember that "1000/100 Mbit/s" does not tell how fast response time you have, only how big packages you can send/receive per second.

Edited by Tauri

3 tuntia sitten, rjounila kirjoitti:

But to me issues with in-game performance have little to do with ping. I have steady 60ms (30ms in-game) and gameplay varies a lot in EASHL between games from very responsive to extremely sluggish.

This is something that boggles my mind. If the servers truly are dedicated, why does in-game responsitivity vary so much or am I just making shit up for lack of skills? Steady 29ms and still I could have extremely fluid experience controlling my player or then feel like I'm fighting the game controls for 60minutes on ice. 

I feel like there is some p2p shenanigans going on or then Ea has more servers and some matches get distributed to more non-favourable locations. 

• Like 2