How many ECL divisions should there be?

How many ECL divisions should there be? (unofficial poll)  

272 members have voted

The results of this poll are hidden permanently..

There was some talk of this topic at the end of last year. I and many others think that there is too many teams in ECL for just 3 divisions. Huge number of Lite teams causes too short regular season and too long play-offs. And not to forget huge cap on skill level as well. 

I personally think that NHL Gamer should not waste any more time on this decision. It should be made before ECL9. 

Time is short. Please be fast to share your opinion on this case and also remember to vote.

I think there should be 4 divisions

ECL ELITE (16 teams)

ECL PRO (32 teams)

ECL SEMI PRO (32 teams)

ECL LITE (rest of the teams)

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Love it! 1

Wow, never thought so many of us would prefer four over the current three. With 4 the Lite would literally be lite and as there's some teams around who dont even want to compete in the highest level, SEMI-PRO/LITE option would be a lot better for them. Also it would upgrade the status of the Pro division.

@ahonaattori good shit.

Edited by vSilenttio
  • Like 8

42 minuuttia sitten, PSchibra kirjoitti:

It's a good idea but you then have to come up with answers to questions such as where do you place new teams that have some skilled players already and is the climb from lite to elite gonna be too long and discourage some clubs from joining, etc.

Yeah that was my second thought too but lets be honest - there's just no sense to force legit elite players to play up from Lite/Semi. My first thought to solve this? Option to qualify to Pro division through Lite & Semi during offseason/before the start of the ECL. The status and history of the players in a new team has to mean something if this would be the case. And I'm saying this a guy who isn't fan of team hopping etc.

Edited by vSilenttio

Is it really necessary to be able to create new Elite teams just like that in a 1-2 month? I would like to see path to become an Elite team to be longer. It would increase the value of Elite / Pro teams and the hours that GMs give to build their team. And if its harder to raise a team to Elite level, Elite / Pro managers have better free agents available to sign.

I think that very skilled new teams should start in Semi-Pro... But this question among many other is something NG staff need to think about.

Edited by ahonaattori
  • Like 3

With more divisions do we need more ECL-tournaments every year. 

You should be able to reach the highest division from the lowest in the same game if you're having a good team. 

Instead of having good teams like "Vesa Pompa" who decides to split up cuz they don't "have the time" to grind in the 2nd highest division, and "maybe" get the opportunity to play in Elite later in 20.

As it is now with 3 divisions is it already too few tournaments. 

Don't see that 4 divisions would make it any better, for anyone. 

• Like 6

6 tuntia sitten, ahonaattori kirjoitti:

Is it really necessary to be able to create new Elite teams just like that in a 1-2 month? I would like to see path to become an Elite team to be longer.

I get what you're saying but the time to create new Elite team would not be "1-2 months", it would take more like 3-4 months with only two ECL seasons per year. Nobody would like/enjoy to play the whole year of ECL if they would play first in "Semi" level where you face current Lite teams who are just "not there" with current Elite teams. If you qualify from there to Pro, you'd play another two months but the teams would be little better that time of course. With two ECL seasons this road to Elite thing would take atleast 12 months from a single team, if they would start from "Semi" or Lite in the current system.

Right now the NHL as an esport isn't that big yet that we should slow down the better teams from stepping up. Obviously this isn't that big problem as we've seen how majority of the teams has found their place thanks to the divisions, and because it's pretty easy to take over some old Pro (even Elite) team, which is good thing in my opinion. Why? The players and the management change in the real life too, so it would be stupid to require same guys to be core of certain teams only because of they has played there first. I'm talking about cases where the team roster has faced big update.

But yeah, like I said, this would probably not be the biggest problem anyways so lets just bring the 4 in. 

• Like 1

• Members
6 timmar sedan, Jesus säger:

Have there been any team who has done the journey from Lite to Elite with the same team?

6 timmar sedan, Obagol säger:

Almost famous?

Bucketeers?

Two recent ones.. But i dont know?

... aaaand the legendary Falun Coal Miners 😍

Although to be fair FCM was somewhat of a special case as the promotion Lite -> Pro came by way of application and "strength of roster".

But yeah, afaik those three teams have made that journey - with teams like GHETTO FIREBIRDS and Supernatural candidates to do the same in the near future (imo).

• Love it! 3

Adding another division at this point would probaly be good since the current amount of lite teams is probably a bit unappealing to newcomers.

If the division number keeps increasing there has to be some kind of ELO system for teams/players to be able to correctly place newfound teams (teams have found ways to capture unused teams so far though).

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

• Members

An additional division is absolutely needed and would be better for everyone. Also ECL 3x in a year would be the best imo, you could grind from Semi-Pro to Elite in one NHL title if you've got the skill.. A shorter offseason would probably result in steadier rosters too

Edited by Mikka
  • Like 11

4 tuntia sitten, vSilenttio kirjoitti:

I get what you're saying but the time to create new Elite team would not be "1-2 months", it would take more like 3-4 months with only two ECL seasons per year. Nobody would like/enjoy to play the whole year of ECL if they would play first in "Semi" level where you face current Lite teams who are just "not there" with current Elite teams. If you qualify from there to Pro, you'd play another two months but the teams would be little better that time of course. With two ECL seasons this road to Elite thing would take atleast 12 months from a single team, if they would start from "Semi" or Lite in the current system.

Right now the NHL as an esport isn't that big yet that we should slow down the better teams from stepping up. Obviously this isn't that big problem as we've seen how majority of the teams has found their place thanks to the divisions, and because it's pretty easy to take over some old Pro (even Elite) team, which is good thing in my opinion. Why? The players and the management change in the real life too, so it would be stupid to require same guys to be core of certain teams only because of they has played there first. I'm talking about cases where the team roster has faced big update.

But yeah, like I said, this would probably not be the biggest problem anyways so lets just bring the 4 in. 

Yeah, but i mean that now it is 1-2 month, because it is possible to start in PRO and play that 2 month and then you have Elite team. I like it a bit more that existing PRO and ELITE teams would get stronger fe. the way you mentioned.

35 minuuttia sitten, Mikka kirjoitti:

An additional division is absolutely needed and would be better for everyone. Also ECL 3x in a year would be the best imo, you could grind from Semi-Pro to Elite in one NHL title if you've got the skill.. A shorter offseason would probably result in steadier rosters too

I agree, 3 ECL season / NHLXX would be good. There isnt any reasons why NG should tie ECL to calendar years.

I think it would be cool if tournaments were something like:

ECL1

ECL2

ECL3

RCL, GCL, FCL, SCL ( is it possible to do all at the same time?)

Summerup

And if RCL and GCL need to have their own tournaments around year then they can.. But it would be cool if at least FCL and SCL is about same time.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

11 tuntia sitten, iSvamp kirjoitti:

With more divisions do we need more ECL-tournaments every year. 

You should be able to reach the highest division from the lowest in the same game if you're having a good team. 

Instead of having good teams like "Vesa Pompa" who decides to split up cuz they don't "have the time" to grind in the 2nd highest division, and "maybe" get the opportunity to play in Elite later in 20.

As it is now with 3 divisions is it already too few tournaments. 

Don't see that 4 divisions would make it any better, for anyone. 

I have no idea what the fact that some team don`t have time to grind from PRO to ELITE has to do with should or should us not change the current ECL system.

And BTW i think Vesa Pompa did not even raise from Lite to Pro on their first season. Their name in ECL7 was Lehmannen Badboyz...or something like that. I think it was very must justified that they started in Lite.

You don't?? 

Teams giving up cuz it's not worth to start in LITE, pay 100 euros, play 2 tournaments and "maybe" get the chance in the same game/year to play in the highest division. 

Like Vesa * 

4 divisions means that it would be any harder for a LITE team, and not cheaper. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, iSvamp said:

You don't?? 

Teams giving up cuz it's not worth to start in LITE, pay 100 euros, play 2 tournaments and "maybe" get the chance in the same game/year to play in the highest division. 

Like Vesa * 

4 divisions means that it would be any harder for a LITE team, and not cheaper. 

I don't see the problem, why is it required to reach the top division in one NHL game if you start out in the lowest division?

If you play the game for fun, then you play with your friends no matter which division you're in.

If you play the game to reach the top, either fight for a spot in a team already at the top or get into a lower division team and prove that you are worth it.

If you want to see YOUR team reach the top, start from the lowest division and build the best team you can of players that will accept to play in lower divisions. This is a challenge as it should be, nothing worth having comes easy.

Edit: Since I'm ECL Staff, I'd like to point out that this is my personal opinion.

Edited by Maggre
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Maggre said:

I don't see the problem, why is it required to reach the top division in one NHL game if you start out in the lowest division?

If you play the game for fun, then you play with your friends no matter which division you're in.

If you play the game to reach the top, either fight for a spot in a team already at the top or get into a lower division team and prove that you are worth it.

If you want to see YOUR team reach the top, start from the lowest division and build the best team you can of players that will accept to play in lower divisions. This is a challenge as it should be, nothing worth having comes easy.

Edit: Since I'm ECL Staff, I'd like to point out that this is my personal opinion.

I think it's good for the talent pool that you don't have to many divisions. If you have 4 divisions or more it takes too much time for these players to find their way to the top.

The problem is that it's basically no difference between top lite and top pro teams. There is no real sense of pregression going through the divisions, it's just a grind. The same structure will appear with more divisions. Unnecessarily complicated and time consuming imo.

Edited by Jesus

43 minuuttia sitten, Maggre kirjoitti:

Exactly. There is over 5000 users in this community and maybe under 150 players in ELITE. Why should it be easy and fast to get there with your own team? If you playing in PRO or LITE feels like pulling nails, join some Elite team trough tryouts. There is great players and even teams in Lite and Pro every season. But the elite of the elite players and specially teams play in ELITE. 

2 timmar sedan, Maggre säger:

Read Jesus answer. 

It's not legit to wait for 18-24 months to even be able to play in the highest division if you admins want to call this an eSport. Nuff said :)

• Thanks 1

I really like the three division system. After all, it's great that players in lowest division get to play long playoffs, and the ones who don't qualify have the time to practice their game during their off-season. I don't see people being really into a system where they play long regular season just to realize they don't quite cut it as a playoff team. On the opposite, it's not that rewarding for the top lite teams either to dominate during a long regular season and then get downed in round 1 or 2: that's what makes pro so unappealing as well.

Edited by Juizki
  • Like 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Jesus:

I think it's good for the talent pool that you don't have to many divisions. If you have 4 divisions or more it takes too much time for these players to find their way to the top.

The problem is that it's basically no difference between top lite and top pro teams. There is no real sense of pregression going through the divisions, it's just a grind. The same structure will appear with more divisions. Unnecessarily complicated and time consuming imo.

Why is that a problem? If your statement is true (I'm not so sure about that), the top lite teams and the top pro level teams would end up in the same division for the next tournament.

Sounds pretty good to me.

As one of the original Divisions creators, assuming the main goal is to shrink Lite in size, I have a different suggestion: Increase ECL Pro to 48 teams and keep the existing structure.

Edited by gzell60
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gzell60 said:

Why is that a problem? If your statement is true (I'm not so sure about that), the top lite teams and the top pro level teams would end up in the same division for the next tournament.

Sounds pretty good to me.

As one of the original Divisions creators, assuming the main goal is to shrink Lite in size, I have a different suggestion: Increase ECL Pro to 48 teams and keep the existing structure.

I'm sure many lite teams could have battled in pro in the last ECL. No matter how many divisions you have all divisions will still be unbalanced. So what is the point? Shorter playoffs ... really?

Your suggestion is really good btw and something that should be implemented for sure.

No one cares about the Pro division or Lite division. The only reason why we have a division-based system is that Elite teams wanna play against other Elite teams. Which is fair ... but it's foolish to punish the rest of the community even further by adding yet another division. Pro & Lite is already completely uninteresting!

Edited by Jesus

4 divisions imo, there is just too many teams in lite atm and because of that the top teams are way much better than the bottom teams and thats one reason why so many team loses their motivation and might quit before the season ends. And there will be just more and more teams in future so 4 divisions would solve this issue for now atleast 👍

Edited by ReDMisTi
  • Like 4

In my opinion saying that it takes too long for new teams to get to Elite from, say the new "Semi-Pro", is a weak argument. Why should we give new teams to do so much less work to earn a spot with the best? 

We should put some value on those teams who have been together for long periods of time and working their asses off to get there. If you want to start a new team, you should not get everything on a golden platter. I would be okay if I'd form a new team, to start from the lowest division of the possible 4.

And for individuals, everyone should recognize the hard work there too. If you got the skills and the eye for the game, good teams and good captains will notice. Just work your butt off to get a spot for a tryout and show what you got. 

Somebody said earlier in the thread: " Nothing worth having comes easy". Look at HAVU, Flyerkungen has bust his balls off to make that dream come true, it did not come in a matter of couple of months. And I am pretty sure that last year when Eki won it all, he put in the work there.

• Like 14
  • Love it! 1