Roots

Tanski87

wWzNZfC.jpg

There are players in this community who are vocal, and players who prefer to be the more silent type. There is nothing wrong with either of these.
This player and persona is one of the vocal ones. @vSilenttio talks a lot in the party during games, and he is not silent on social media either. 
But who is this guy?

Name: Väinö "vee_SILE" Pietilä

ECL Elite:
Games: 133
Goals: 21
Assist: 84
Hits: 597

HanZsBV.jpg

Who is vee_SILE?
In real life, like outside of this bubble, I guess I'm an easy-going guy who enjoys life as it is at the moment. I have also learned to be as honest as I can ever be. Sometimes it's a very nice thing to be and do, but of course the dark side of it is that sometimes people might not like me because of it, but that's just me being me so yeah.
One thing people recognise from me is that I laugh a lot even when "you should not", and for more information about that, you can ask the woman I live with. Oh! And we have two dogs in the household as well 
 amazing creatures!
For a living I'm working in a primary school, and my “main job” out there is to help kids who have the need for special support. After almost three semesters in the job, I think this is my thing. Next up is getting educated.
 #taival 

Why NHL?
The correct answer to this one has to be because of and thanks to my uncles, @Darkki87 and @Nikge, who both showed me the way to the video gaming world before I could even speak, so you could say that we are going way back with this one. Obviously watching the sport itself was one factor in continuing to play NHL – which was, still is and will be part of my life because of those guys I mentioned above. And now we are here. #loveyouguys 

Why LD?
Because SIKA needed a Dman whom they can kick in the ass without getting hit back? I don't know, it all started in NHL 11 when I started playing with them for fun at first (Darkki joined the group somewhere around 2007–2008?), and maybe then they just realised that this 13-year-old kid can actually play so we need to play him in the league games as well. Then when SIKA had weekend meetings at my uncle's place, I just started hanging out with them like anyone else and ended up being part of the group – and nowadays we are still in touch on a daily basis.
But on staying as LD  – I think I just enjoyed playing NHL so much offline & online that maybe I didn't even realise what was happening, and suddenly I was our most important player after Darkki.
It's funny to think about all this after all these years, especially when the SIKA guys are like a second family to me after 10+ years of knowing them.
 #SIKAfam

Who is your real-life inspiration as a player?
My first real-life inspiration was Kris Letang even though he played for the Pens, but fuck what an amazing player he was to watch as a young kid. The second big name for me was Mikko Kousa when HIFK signed him in the summer of 2010 when he came in as this young, “chubby-cheeked” offensive Dman who ended up being one of the best defenders in their championship-winning team in that same season. I still have his jersey hanging above my PS4. And then there's Claude Giroux, who is my all-time favourite player in all of sports, so I guess I can mention him as an inspiration – also have his jersey as well. 
Honourable mentions: Kimmo Timonen, Slava Voynov (shame what happened), Alex Pietrangelo, Ivan Provorov. 
#ynwa

What new things would you like to see in future NHL games?
Same old, same old. Less animation shit from the game engine, and overall I just keep hoping that EA creates a more competitive-ready game for us. Not just gameplay-wise, but things that are still missing like prac rooms/servers and a spectator mode are shit that keeps slowing the growth of the whole NHL scene. 
And it's 2020.
 #ffs 

IUouq11.jpg

vee_SILE  in ECL 10 and in the future?
I just try to keep doing my best so my team can be better game after game, week after week. Maybe one thing I could mention on an individual level is that it wouldn't hurt us if I produced even more than before, so that's one thing where I just need to be top-notch night in night out. Not an easy task but doable for sure. #followyourghost

Roots in ECL 10?
Roots will continue as a play-off team, and we will aim and go higher than we did back in ECL 9. Our roster looks better on paper, and most importantly, so does our game. Obviously we are far away from “Cup Contender” status when you ask the community, but we will definitely do our best. 
And now when I look back at what we have done as a team, I mean all the work we have done and still keep on doing, we are baby steps away from being “TOP 4” and sure, I understand if/when it sounds crazy, but that's how I feel right now, and I didn't feel like this last season when we were at the beginning of this new journey. 
Now it's just about finally stepping up in ECL games and being as good as you can ever be.
 #bowdown

Your top 3 LD's in Elite?
Not sure if I can rank them from #1 to #3 but here's my list:
Nassustelija, Makexl, xDoumi. I don't like leaving Janzuh out of it, but I hope the old man keeps on going and forces his way back into my top 3 after this season.
 #onemoreyear

vee_SILE from an ex-teammate's and opponent's point of view?
@imosi vee_SILE is a guy who isn’t afraid of anyone and isn’t afraid of saying what he thinks. I’ve known him for over ten years. I’ve seen this kid grow up into a man. Played with him and against him for years, so I think I know him pretty well. I can only say positive things about him. Sile plays with true passion. If he plays, winning is the only option. Sile is one of the best teammates you can have on and off the ice. He’s maybe not the most skilled Dman in the scene, but he’s a really smart player and a really nasty defender to play against. Also very good offensively. One of the best all-around defenders in the scene. If you have this guy in your team, you are very lucky to have him. I love the way he cheers and talks on and off the ice.

ZLhdM7X.jpg

Be sure to check out his Sile Corner!
ECL10 ennakko  - ECL10 Elite preview with Checkmate captain @TackleControl and @tbnantti from Symphony.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it! 3

uL5FIsA.jpg

Many players are in a new team facing a fresh challenge in this ECL season. 
Some of the players are known for playing in a certain team, @Rimpe for example is strongly associated with Almost Famous. Now he is a member of Roots, a new team for him with new teammates and a new opportunity.
But who is this guy?

Name: Timi "Rimpe37" Rimpeläinen

ECL Elite:
Games:  110
Goals:  68
Assist:  64
Hits:  307

mQYk4ns.jpg

Who is Rimpe37?
I'm a 24-year-old young man from Lahti, Finland. 
From a young age, gaming has always been part of my life. Only for around the last ~3 years have I been playing with a more competitive mindset, at least in NHL. 

Why NHL?
I started watching real-life hockey pretty late, in my teenage years when I was 14 years old, and fell in love with the sport. Obviously I started playing the NHL games soon after that. 
I had played previous titles, but my first NHL that I bought for myself must've been NHL 09 or NHL 2k8 (an underrated game). 

Why LW?
I actually use a left-handed stick in real life, and when I started to look for a competitive team for the first time I tried to find a good team where I could play C or RW.
I got a chance to play for a pretty good team at the time, Sjukstugan, and they offered me an LW position so I just grinded and learned to play with the righty and stuck with it ever since.

t0CCDbB.jpg

Recently I've been fanboying for Nathan MacKinnon, an unreal player.

I would like to see something where you can "neppailla" with your friends, like a free skate where you can have multiple pucks and have friends join you. Also any team practice in 6v6 would be a huge plus.

Rimpe37 in ECL10 and in the future?
I'm really excited for the new season. I'm in a new team, and for the last couple of months we have been training a lot together and I feel that I'm an important part of the team now. 

About the decision to leave aF: I played for Almost Famous for a little over two years, and I was starting to struggle with motivation to continue playing this game and it was time for a change. After the transfer, playing this game has never been as fun and rewarding as it is now.

Roots in ECL10?
Last season Roots was eliminated in the quarterfinals and every one of us wants to improve on that.

FMh2phB.jpg

Your top 3 LW's in Elite?
1. Puantso
2. Joukki
3. jm98

Rimpe37 from an ex-teammate's point of view?
@Aze It's hard to say anything but positive about Rimpe. However, it is loyalty and playing for the team that stand out the strongest. In my opinion Rimpe is the best two-way left winger that there is in this game. He's the type of player that everyone would want in their team.
He does not give up and throw in the towel no matter how hard it gets, that is the best way to describe his loyalty.
Roots got a great guy for their team.

DG5kMuL.jpg

The last season ECL 9 was a struggle for Rimpe and his team Almost Famous. aF ended up in a relegation battle and lost by 2–4 wins against Gotham Knights.
After that aF managed to keep their Elite spot in the Elite qualifiers.
But that is in the past for this talented winger. It is time to see what the future brings for this powerhouse on the ice, and they will be great things if you ask me.

• Like 21
  • Love it! 2

B9O2v1m.jpg

Passion in something every great player needs. With no passion, there is no way to get better, to get where you want to be and become a great player.
Keranee is a player who has passion for the game. He wants to get better, loves to play and hates to lose.
But who is this guy?

Name: Jere "keranee" Keränen

ECL Elite:
Games: 66
Goals: 39
Assist: 36
Hits: 182

qDEF8Nm.jpg?1

Who is keranee?
Definitely a character, a bit of an extrovert and definitely someone that's easy to approach I guess? I'm currently living with my girlfriend somewhere in the northern part of Finland. 
I've always been pretty outgoing and social, I travel somewhere every summer either with friends or family, and that's something I really enjoy. I'm deep into sports too, more of a spectator nowadays but I played some floorball, did a little kickboxing and wrestled for my own amusement when I was younger. I'm super competitive and strive to succeed in whatever I do, whether it be playing games or just simply washing dishes for example (which is something I rarely do because my girlfriend really enjoys that stuff). Apparently I have a sense of humour as well. 
Currently I have my mind set on possibly starting studies and at some point maybe moving to another city to be closer to my family.

Why NHL?
Well I've always loved the sport and played a bit of the old games when I was younger. I think it was probably NHL 14 when I started playing more actively, and I've loved the series since. 6s I started to play competitively in NHL 18.

Why RW?
It just feels the most natural, I played left wing the previous season and really didn't feel at home playing a righty. I've pretty much played and tried out all of the forward positions at some point, but I'm most comfortable playing RW.

When I was younger and spent more time watching hockey I really loved watching Linus Omark play, he has flair in his game and is, or at least was, a really entertaining player to watch. Him or Mikael Granlund, both capable with the puck and good at making plays.

I'd love for them to focus more on gameplay and things that actually matter rather than worry about who they can get to visit the booth...yeah, they can always work for it to be more eSport friendly and listen to the competitive community. I really don't play anything aside from 6s, but if I had to pick something, I'd definitely throw in spectator and practise modes to start off with.

Keranee in ECL 10 and in the future?
I have high expectations for myself, but I'll be doing my best in order for my team to win games and try to be as consistent as possible.

Roots in ECL 10?
I'm really confident in our team right now, we are really determined and know our goals which we work very hard to achieve. I feel like all of us are on the same level and put in the work equally (except for Swag, he's just silly).
No really, we have a great mix of personalities in our team, individual skill and experience. We've really been focusing on our game, trying our best to improve it and move forward. We'll definitely perform better than last season. 
ECL 10 is going to be full of skilled teams and individuals, and we're ready. I'm really excited and can't wait to play with these guys.

Your top 3 RW's in Elite?
Flyerkungen is an obvious answer, I've watched him play ever since I pretty much started playing sixes and just admire his level of skill. Maybe not the flashiest player, but definitely one of the most effective ones.
Eki of course, super hard to play against. Just a powerhouse of a player.
NikkeDangles, he's crazy talented offensively and really entertaining to watch. 
Honorable mention: KingofApes, I watched him play last FCL and was really surprised at how good his two-way game is. Solid offensively as well.

Keranee from an ex-teammate's and opponent's point of view?
Redmisti: One of the hungriest guys I have played with. When he came to play for us in Gotham Knights, he was not a known name, but his hunger and desire to get better was visible. He wanted to get to the top of the scene.
He wants a big role, wants to lead his team on the ice, and he wants to make an impact in the big games.
With him now being an opponent, I can say that he has moved forward as a player. His game has improved overall since the Gotham days. He is a skilled player whom you need to be careful with as an opponent, and I have noticed that he takes a big role with Roots, on the ice and in the voice chat during games.

BqkhLsY.jpg?1

Last season was keranee´s first where he played every game of the elite season. His game is improving constantly, and he seems to be ready to get even better. 
We will see where this passion for the game leads him.

• Like 12
  • Love it! 2

h90Aqy6.jpg

What is the most important position in hockey? There are star players and MVP's in every position, but if you think about the game and how everything works on the ice, the center is the most important position in hockey.
After spending a year in the army, Migo_Boona is taking on a big challenge by stepping into the skates of a center in Roots. He missed both ECL 8 and ECL 9, but now he is ready to get back in the action. 
But who is this guy?

Name: Miko "Migo_Boona" Nurmi

ECL Elite:
Games: 28
Goals: 14
Assist: 17
Hits: 59

Q8Lteep.jpg?1

Who is Migo_Boona?
I'm a pretty chill and easygoing person.
I started playing 6s sometime around 2016, but I had a PS controller in my hands as a kid before I could even walk. Well, you get the point.

Why NHL?
I have watched hockey since I was like five years old, and if I remember correctly, my first game was NHL 03 on the PS1. Since then, I have owned and played every single game in the series.

Why center?
When I started playing 6s, I was an RW actually. But it changed to center at some point. Little by little, I found myself in the center position more often.

Pavel Datsyuk, definitely Pavel Datsyuk. My favourite NHL team has always been the Detroit Red Wings, with Pavel Datsyuk being my favourite player. Now that Datsyuk is in the twilight of his career, I have been starting to get really good vibes from Auston Matthews. There just isn't any specific player in the Red Wings at the moment that makes me go “Wow!”

A game that is not broken in any way, at least not with anything major. Gameplay should be rewarding, and the one who makes more good decisions and right calls should always win. 

rF1tLFu.jpg

Migo_Boona in ECL 10 and in the future?
I'm going to do my best to get to the play-offs with my team and as far as possible there. I want to get better as a player and as part of a team during this season and in the future.
Roots in ECL 10?
I am really excited about this season as I missed the last ones. We have practised a lot together, and I do think we can go far if everything clicks.

Your top 3 center's in Elite?
Dominointi, Penatski, Kuru

Migo_Boona from an ex-teammate's and opponent's point of view?
@Hullued: I don't really know what to say, I think Miko is a skilled youngster. He is always one of the first to know what new tricks there are in the game. He does stuff with the controller that we older guys can just imagine doing. Even tries to teach me, but my fingers just cannot do stuff like that.
He has grown a lot as a player since we played together in Shameful Knights, where he played a winger type of game as a center. Now he has clearly realised what it is all about and plays like a real center. Reads the game well, gives the puck to his teammates and trusts them with it. Lots of mental growth.
He is a really social guy and often there is too much extra fuss going on in the party during games, but that has also changed as these days he is focusing on the game and what happens on the ice, nothing extra.
I like Miko outside the games also, a nice person. You can have a heated and “bloody” debate with him, and after a few minutes, everything is completely fine. 
Pretty much as a summary: Miko has gone through a story of growth and I'm really proud of him.

ueMI1FY.jpg

Migo_Boona seems to be ready for what is coming. He is not the most experienced ECL Elite level player, but he is one of the most humble workers. Wants to grow as a player alongside his team, Roots.

• Like 10
  • Love it! 3

image.png.1f6db9a70c9f9c4d71b92b69164e41e3.png

As for some reason our captain thought it wouldn't be smart to write an interview with himself making up both questions and answers - here we are with the last part of the "Who is this guy" interview series. This time behind the yadayada is your favorite human being of the whole scene, me.

NHL gaming scene is full of different kind of leaders. @Tanski87 is one of those guys. He's this calm, humble but ambitious, "feet on the ground" kind of a leader - that I can tell you. Not perhaps the shiniest individual out there but I think that just fits him. He doesn't need any of that shit as there's plenty of stuff he brings to you as a friend, as a teammate on the ice and as a leader. He has played on almost every ECL season there has ever been; six of them in Rusty Blades as a team captain and now he has started his second season with Roots, also being a team captain. We all have probably played against him during the recent years and seen the guy on the ice and what he can do out there.

"But who is this guy?" - let's find out!

Name: Juhani "Tanski87" Tanskanen

ECL Elite (before ECL10):
Games: 170
Goals: 8
Assist: 64
Hits: 858

image.png.27adb0f0a2fe8513016a532cc447cb30.png

So lets start this with an easy one - who the hell is Tanski87? Like seriously, I need more than your jersey number here!
I don't know if there is much to tell about me. I am a father of three little children, the small loves of my life. For my living, I build houses and other buildings, basically anything made of wood, steel or concrete. That is what I have been doing since I was 16 years old. Hockey and family are my greatest passions, virtual hockey included.

You've been a team captain since ECL3 (2016). There must be tons of stories you could tell us - but what things have been the most crucial or absorbing experiences for you during your long player/captain career?
Well yeah, there is some stuff I could mention.

One of them is recruiting Furyan, Martindale and Foppatofflan to Rusty Blades just before ECL 8. I did learn a lot from them as a player.

Also, I have to mention something that I think is expected to be mentioned here. I had to let go of a player who is my best friend in real life. Heck, he is a godfather of my firstborn child, and he is the person who has had my back in the most difficult times in my life. I knew that it will hurt him to show him the door, I did feel like an ass then and still do. It was just something that had to happen. One for the team...

What did I learn? Personal feelings, mine or any other individual's, do not matter a crap if you think about the team as a whole. This does not mean that I am going to act like an asshole to my teammates, no. I do believe that if you do good and be kind to those you are able to, it will make our world a tiny bit better, and even the tiniest little things matter. There's no point in putting someone down just because you can, that's just being a dick.

Is there any NHL gaming related stuff you would like to change or that should be lifted up more often?
This is an easy one.

I want to see a spectator mode for the 6v6 broadcasts. Adjustable camera angles, other tunings and stuff. I also want to see a practise room for EASHL teams. Like a free skate mode, at least.

I would like to see some love from EA towards the crown jewel of virtual hockey, 6v6 EASHL. I know it's not the moneymaker, at least not at the moment, but come on, it is by far the most interesting and potential game mode if you think about legit esports.

How about your position? Why RD?
I actually like playing any position, just not LD. Well I can play it, but it is just like using socks with sandals, it does not make any sense. RD is the position I have always ended up playing in every team I have played with since NHL 09, when EASHL first appeared in the game.

After all these years you've been around - why still NHL? There's like dozens of better video games out there to play!
I just love hockey. I want to play this game, and to be more precise, I want to play 6s. I just can't see myself not playing it, I have never even thought about it.

So you're big daddy. You enjoy doing actual men's work with your hands etc., yet you're pretty decent on the virtual ice as well. Do you have some specific real life inspiration or where do you get the strength and the wisdom that still keeps you around among the whiny forever teenagers like we are?
Like a role model? My father.

He always does everything possible to make life better for those around him. I remember thinking as a teenager that if I will be half the man and father that my father is, I can call my life a success. And I did not make it easy for him back then, I was really difficult at that age. From him I picked up the mentality of hard work, the harder it gets the more it pays off. 

On-ice inspiration? It used to be Chris Pronger and The Big Buff, but now I could say that it is Victor Hedman.

What does the future of NHL gaming bring to your mind?
I hope that this 6 versus 6 scene can keep growing. Bigger broadcasts and a bigger audience watching them. As for NHLGamer, I hope that they can secure a stable long-term partnership so they can focus on running the leagues and growing the community.

I think there is a lot of potential in team-based virtual hockey. Hockey might not be the biggest sport in the world, but it is exciting and fast, and people who like it are really passionate about it. The next step is to get followers who do not play the game. It is a challenge, yes – but I do see it as possible, I see it as likely.

So you're old - how many seasons you have left in you and what do you want personally from the NHL gaming? In a nutshell: what do you want from ECL10 & the future of Roots?
Oh, come on, I'm not that old, at least I don't really feel that I am old. I do joke about it yeah, but it is just talk. At the moment I see no end to playing. I love to get back on the ice night after night, and I am driven to get better as an individual and as a team player. I do think a lot about the game and how I am playing. It was not always like that, I used to play just for fun, although I did do my best on the ice, of course. But now I criticise myself as a player just to get better at the stuff where I am not at my best and to strengthen the areas that matter the most. But I will not forget the areas in which I am good already, I can still tweak those and be even better at defending, for example.

I think I am a better player now than I was a year or two ago, for instance. And I will get better, age does not stop that. You can always get better if you are ready to admit that you are doing something wrong and are willing to really work on it.

As for Roots in ECL 10, I think we have what it takes to be one of the "big boys". In ECL 9, we finished 4th in the regular season. I think we can and will achieve that again, but this time we want to do it in a way that leaves no question as to whether it belongs to us. 

Roots' future is bright. These guys are good already, and I trust their potential 100%. I trust that every one of us can and will be even better in the future. We're all hungry to improve, and we have the willingness to work for it. That is the essence of realising your potential.

Let's end this one with a classic "TOP 3" question - who are the best RD's out there at this very moment?
Willekunq and Loimmu are the obvious answers, there is no need to talk about them as everyone knows how damn good they are.

I also like Ilmari. He has always been really good offensively, but I have noticed his defensive game improving a lot as well. He is not just an offensive tool anymore, he is strong in both ends of the ice. So he is the third.

Tanski87 from an ex-teammate's and opponent's point of view? 
@MartindalexC: Mostly coming from ex-teammate since I never played much against him as a forward. Believe that when I went away from playing predominantly on LW was when Rusty were just starting to get 'going' so to speak. But as an ex-teammate (albeit for one season) I can only say good things about Tanski. He was always extremely reliable in game defensively, and didn't vary too much in his level. So in effect, it was very easy to play off of him since you would know with a great level of confidence what he would do in any given situation, something that should not be under-rated. Additionally, even though we disagreed on the exact tone, he would always try to keep people's spirits high in the party by making mention of things that we were doing well, as well things we could improve on. Furthermore, he would regularly put time in to watch back vods of games against teams, to try and give us some points to focus on and help us towards getting the win.

The man needs to chill with his smoke breaks tho!

roots-tanski2.jpeg

Well that's about it. I hope now we all know little bit more about the T-guy. Five seasons of ECL Elite is behind him and hopefully we're going to witness atleast five more in the future, obviously with his beloved team, Roots.

Gotta end this one saying that it was a pleasure to write this one for you guys. Til' next time, gamers!

Spell check: no.

Edited by vSilenttio
THE DOUBLE PIC?!?!?!
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it! 4