New to the game, feel a bit lost

MrSadman

Hi,

So, the last time I played an NHL game, it was NHL Breakaway 98 on the original Playstation. Since I've always enjoyed watching hovkey and have a PS, I figured I'd give the new version a go, but honestly I am feeling a bit lost. The different game mode  selections and options are a bit much to take in. Also getting to grips with the controls might take some time. It seems like the game assumes that you have played the last couple of releases.

Any tips and tricks for effectively a new player are welcome. A couple of specific questions:
-In Be a Pro mode, is there a way to change the camera angle when I am sitting on the bench? Would enjoy a broadcast type view much more.
-In Be a Pro mode I understand the grades are what get you higher in the ranks. It often gives me tasks to perform new moves etc. What's the best way to practice those moves before the game? Or is there a game mode that slowly introduces new moves other then the practice modes. The shooting practice is good and all, but getting a shot off with 2 defenders trying to get the puck from you is different from just you vs a goalie : P
-What's the least painful method of getting into online multiplayer, so that I don't immediately get slaughtered by an experienced player or ruin anyones game by being an idiot?

Anything else I should know as a new player?

• Like 6

• 7 months later...

There's this "training program" included in the game if I am not mistaken. It shows you the basic controls and how to use certain kind of moves etc. You should go through the settings to see if you can change the camera view in Be-A-Pro.  If you want to try to get into CHEL, you should get into some drop-in games and see how it goes with your own character.

Just be patient and don't let others ruin your experience!