MSGA (Make Stats Great Again)

• ECL Staff

Alright, my bi-monthly bitching is here. 

So, the goal any of interface should be ease of user interaction, in other words the input sheet should be concise, no unnecessary extras, and should be as quick to fill in as possible. With that in mind, let's have a look at the current stats input page:

2d18eda226.png

I don't think there's many problems with this, in a perfect world I'd say there's no need to put in the opponent's stats as well as yours as it just slows down the whole process, alas I understand why it could be deemed somewhat necessary due to some teams having manipulated stats in the past to put themselves in a more favourable light. That said however I would argue why punish the clean teams by forcing them to input both sets of stats? Furthermore I would argue one stat that probably should be here is passing percentage. 

6b382d2a06.png

Okay, time for my pet peeve. Why on earth are usernames not available here? Seems like something that wouldn't exactly be too hard to put in as it's literally just pulling a name from the same sheet where the player names are coming from, aka: here. Anecdotally speaking I know at least a couple team captains who don't even know what names their teammates use in game, due to them changing it from time to time. Why not make it simpler and just show all the information possible? It would stop people accidentally putting in the wrong players.

That final point leads me on to another criticism of the star selection, why do we both (aka: both teams) have to put every player / star selection in? Wouldn't it be easier to have each team fill in the stars, based on where their team came? (Ie: If team A had 3 star selection, team B could just leave all the stars blank on their stat sheet. / If team A had stars at 1 and 3, then they would put the respective players in the 1 and 3 slot, whilst leaving the second slot for team B.) This hopefully would cut accidental fuck ups to basically nil, and then in turn we wouldn't have people complaining about people not updating their player name (The mere fact that this is a complaint is beyond absurd to me). 

fe7aa3436b.png

Now for the next page of stats. (Side note: Sorry to HC Solhem, this isn't me rubbing it in, it was just the only game where I supposedly had this still open :) )

Again, in the drop down box there should be usernames, then player names IMO. Furthermore, I should make mention of the fact that if a player leaves a team during the season, a weird hyphen appears. 

f5dd9c1afa.png

I'm nitpicking here so bare with me, but I feel as though the stat sheet should be as streamlined as possible so any nitpicking should be welcomed at this point. 

WOG, DP, PS, EN and SC.

Penalty shot I feel should be placed with the drop box, along with the other means of scoring already placed there (eg: Even strength, PPG and SHG). The other side boxes however just seem redundant to me, we can't see them in the standings so we can only see who scored a DP goal in the post match report? That seems immensely flawed. I understand you want as much information to be recorded as possible but some things are just not worth going into the demo and looking through every goal, just to check if one of them was a DP goal. Furthermore, what's up with the net chart? In what way could that ever be generated? 

Additionally, I'd wager quite a few teams haven't even paid attention to the side columns enough to even realise they were there. I'll hold my hand up and say I didn't even realise the drop down box made a distinction between even strength and 4v4 / 3v3. Am I particularly sad about this however? Not particularly due to the fact these stats are seemingly lost once you go away from the post match presser. 

2fb2d8b2c2.png

My favourite part about the stats is this little bit, legit, what's the use? As far as I can see this falls under my previous point about the stats just falling into a pit once you progress away from the post match page. You can't find it anywhere on the stats page, both for teams or players, so my question is what's the point in making a distinction between the penalties if you're not going to track it fully? Especially when some penalties are straight up missing (Eg: Someone noted a few days ago that cross-checking isn't in the list).

Basically, in conclusion I think the stats are somewhat fine but they are effectively wasting time for the individual inputting the stats as some of them are just straight up not being tracked. Furthermore, I feel as though some information that should be available during the stats stage, simply isn't there. 

TL:DR, the stats aren't broken and some may view me as just bitching about pointless shit, but for something that every captain has to do many times a season, any opportunity to save time and reduce the chances of unintentional fuck ups should be taken. As such: (+ Denotes add, - denotes remove)

-Need to add stats for both teams, make it so you only have to add your own

-Penalty drop down box and class all penalties as the same, not counting minute duration ofc

-Need to add full star selection on both sides of the stat sheet, make it so only one team reports 'their' stars

-Unnecessary types of goal condition, see penalty criticism for same reasoning 

+Passing percentage statistic in opening page

+Usernames for players available at all times

Edited by MartindalexC
  • Like 6

• Administrators
19 hours ago, MartindalexC said:

TL:DR, the stats aren't broken and some may view me as just bitching about pointless shit, but for something that every captain has to do many times a season, any opportunity to save time and reduce the chances of unintentional fuck ups should be taken. As such: (+ Denotes add, - denotes remove)

-Penalty drop down box and class all penalties as the same, not counting minute duration ofc

-Need to add full star selection on both sides of the stat sheet, make it so only one team reports 'their' stars

Thank you for taking the time to write this @MartindalexC. I'd like to start off by saying that what you wrote is definitely not approached as bitching or complaining - what you wrote above is an excellent piece of feedback with good argumentation. Your timing couldn't actually have been any better; we are having a team meeting in just about 2h, where we are going through our short and long-term plans. I would definitely put a high-priority pin in what you've suggested.

Now, I tend to respond to a lot of things with "we're actually doing that" or "it's coming" and so forth. A lot of the features that would take care of most of the annoyances (I believe) have been planned ages ago, but of course that's worth nothing until it's actually implemented. Therefore I'm happy to say we've been contacted by some of our fellow community members that have reached their hands out to help us with their expertise. That being said, we are still taking in applications for more people that would be interested in helping out. Also worth noting that it will take some time before these new staff members will be fully up to speed and on board and that is one of the things we need to discuss today.

Anyways, let me comment briefly on some of the points you made:

We will definitely take this into consideration. The original logic behind it is that the winner is usually more energetic after a win and happy to put in the stats and that it's only the team stats that we're talking about. But yes, I can understand that if you're winning most of the games, you're also doing most of the work. Noted!

I can see that putting in the reason for penalties can feel unnecessary at this stage. The reason behind this is that this is all stored in the database and in the future we can see team and individual stats for what penalty the team/player usually is guilty of, if there's a certain time during the game where the team takes penalties more frequently etc. Some teams may even want to use it as a coaching tool and I think it's a cool feature to have. Not the most urgent thing in the big picture, but having the stats in place gives us the possibility to calculate whatever statistical details one might want to display.

As for the missing penalties, I added the cross-checking as soon as it was mentioned in the chat (you can see it in your screenshot). When you mention missing penalties in plural, are you referring to the obstruction-hooking and other obstruction penalties? I can add them in if we want those added.

This ties into your first point about team stats. Noted.

I completely agree that the current stats that are displayed are not reflecting these goal conditions (except for the match page) in any way. As with the penalties, there's a bunch of cool things we can calculate in the future.

You mentioned the shooting chart in your post. This is something of low priority, but fairly easy to implement. And before everyone yells "Oh noooo - more stats!", hehe, no, we're not planning to make it compulsory. However, I know there's some stats people out there that would appreciate the feature. Basically, the user reporting the game could simply click where each goal was scored on the net and while it already could be a cool feature for the match page, the full benefit could be in a longer scale "where are we scoring/being scored on" kind of art that could be generated based on the data. Again, I emphasise, this is not something we are prioritising at this stage, as there's so many more important matters to focus on, but just to answer your question on what that is about. 

I agree - I want this. We can add this, for sure. Only thing is, that it would only be displayed in the match screens, as adding up passing percentages from game to game isn't an accurate measurement. (Or we could do that, but note on the stats page that it isn't mathematically accurate)

Yes, I agree with you. It gets confusing when players change their names. Will be adding this.

Thanks again for the feedback. It's always good to get the feedback directly from the community. Sometimes (very often, actually) it matches with our vision and it gives us an indicator that this feature is what you guys want and we can put a priority on it. At other times it offers a good balancing to things we have thought about differently. Please keep the feedback coming and it's especially helpful if it's as well motivated as the above.

Apart from the above you mentioned, the reporting screens need to be polished, we need to add a few more verifications so one should be unable to report clearly false stats and we definitely need to get the discussion box underneath the match stats.

• Like 2

The user name thing goes beyond game reporting. Everywhere I see player names in any kind of list, I think "I wish they would show user names / PSN ID's instead". I remember having a discussion about this long ago and someone stupidly told me "but it looks more like real sports where they use their real names on jerseys" or some shit like that. That person was DEAD WRONG.

• Like 1

I think a lot of streamlining is required. Reporting is quite the chore for now, and I firmly believe this results in a lot of inaccuracies in the stats that go unnoticed. I'd rather have the stats be as accurate as possible than know how many boarding penalties a team has maybe taken or whether a winning goal was scored in the second rather than the first overtime period, never mind the fact that those details aren't even tracked for now. As long as reporting stats is up to us players (and I don't see how it wouldn't be) it needs to be simpler.