ECL 5 Poll: Should a new team be allowed to apply for ECL Pro?

ECL 5 Poll  

186 members have voted

The results of this poll are hidden permanently..

• Administrators

We expect to have more than a handful of spots in Pro to fill and we would like to hear your opinion on the following matter:

Should a new team be allowed to apply for ECL Pro? (New team can, for example, mean a newly formed team of Elite players)

Yes = Some Lite teams are promoted and the rest of the spots are filled with applications from newly formed teams (based on merit).

No = All new teams, regardless of circumstance, start in Lite.

The vote is anonymous, but of course feel free to discuss the subject.

The vote is intended to be a guiding light in our journey towards making the right decision, but we don't want to give false promises. While the vote will give voice to the community, it isn't a decisive "either/or" type of vote. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, miisolegend said:

I think the rule that new started clubs begin in LITE is fair to all. I mean would admins have a jury sitting and go name by name of new started clubs? For real... If people decides to jump a ELite/PRO club starting a new they should end up in LITE. Thats my opinion.

If was thinking like, 2 teams are droping out from pro or elite, and some members from the clubs are starting a new club. I think they should be able to join pro if there is a empty slot.

Edited by Tauri

1 minute ago, MartindalexC said:

So based on the poll, people are voting for scenarios like this to happen:

Elite team disbands -> Players form new team with majority from elite -> Get placed in lite and absolutely destroy teams down there -> GG everyone

Which also is great because one of the main arguments for divisions in the first place was to avoid the whole new teams getting stomped thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, miisolegend said:

I think the rule that new started clubs begin in LITE is fair to all. I mean would admins have a jury sitting and go name by name of new started clubs? For real... If people decides to jump a ELite/PRO club starting a new they should end up in LITE. Thats my opinion.

So you think that carlsberg hc should have been placed in lite last season ? xD

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The franchise model - It’s been called the greatest business model ever invented. 

yes - put all new teams (with old elite/pro players) in LITE, who cares if some Lite teams get's destroyed tournament after tournament. The only things that matters is that we care about this franchise model. And, there is so many tournaments every year, so every one who has a good run will ofc get the chance to play in the highest division without waiting 2-3 games...:ph34r: And it must feel so good as a Lite team to get the chance to play against so many "elite-players" tournament after tournament, just for the practice. 

We all need to fight for this franchise idea, don't forget that! 

or let the best compete with the best if there is room. I mean, Carlsberg in Lite last season? they could have won elite with that team. 

Edited by iSvamp
  • Like 3

I don't see a point in placing obviously stacked in lite only to destroy the teams, as it goes completely against the idea of the divisions in the first place. I know the staff underlined the desire for a certain type of longevity with teams, but I see that as merely limiting the competitiveness of the game. However, in order for this type of system to be possible, there has to be a specific way to rate teams and their level. There are various different ways to do that, but the simplest way would be to assign personal ratings to players and when a certain threshold is reached when the player ratings are added up, the team is granted access to Pro if there is room.

Say, playing x games in elite the previous season grants a player y rating. On top of that, if he's a forward and finishes in the, say, top-20 in points, he gets z points on top of that. Have rules like this for every position, where the player ratings are in black and white, something tangible to judge a team's ability objectively. This is obviously just a rough example to give you an idea of how a team rating could be achieved through personal performance. 

I do understand that some players in lite would actually relish the challenge of facing excellent teams in the lowest tier, so their voices should obviously be heard as well. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Yes. This is a very important option to implement.

Reality of this community is ... teams come and go. We don't want to many good teams/players in Lite since it will be harder for new members to develop their game. and I fear many good players will lose interest as well when having to start over in lite every year.

Edited by Jesus

33 minutes ago, tbnantti said:

I don't see a point in placing obviously stacked in lite only to destroy the teams, as it goes completely against the idea of the divisions in the first place. I know the staff underlined the desire for a certain type of longevity with teams, but I see that as merely limiting the competitiveness of the game. However, in order for this type of system to be possible, there has to be a specific way to rate teams and their level. There are various different ways to do that, but the simplest way would be to assign personal ratings to players and when a certain threshold is reached when the player ratings are added up, the team is granted access to Pro if there is room.

Say, playing x games in elite the previous season grants a player y rating. On top of that, if he's a forward and finishes in the, say, top-20 in points, he gets z points on top of that. Have rules like this for every position, where the player ratings are in black and white, something tangible to judge a team's ability objectively. This is obviously just a rough example to give you an idea of how a team rating could be achieved through personal performance. 

I do understand that some players in lite would actually relish the challenge of facing excellent teams in the lowest tier, so their voices should obviously be heard as well. 

Excellent idea

Goals scored without any assists should give a few extra bonus points IMO

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

Excellent idea

Goals scored without any assists should give a few extra bonus points IMO

And trolling should give you a few minus points. 9_9 Like I said, it was to give people a rough idea of how we could estimate a team's level objectively.

I like Antti's idea, or some implementation of it that would work. Other than serving some people's idea of fairness, I don't see a point in forcing teams into Lite that are just going to wreck everyone there.

Antti's proposition of objective player ratings sounds pretty good to me, but what if a team gets some highly rated friends into their roster just to avoid Lite and then those players switch back to their actual teams? I guess you could simply impose a cooldown during which they would have to remain in the new club, so it would probably not be an issue. Any potential loopholes in such a system need to be considered, though.

For starters I must say that I'm happy with the current format of this ECL divisions and I would love to see it work like it is supposed. Long-lasting. But then again I guess we gotta see the realism and adjust with it.

I guess everyone can see the dilemma in this since there are team number caps in higher divisions and many teams are eager to achieve promotion.

Sure pro (why not even elite) would be the correct placement for new teams that have skilled/elite players. Then again at same time it would be a huge slap in the face for franchise teams (who wants to promote and are on the line next) in lite who are sticking together and trying to achieve pro spot hard. As it was announced earlier that longetivity of teams is the thing that ECL divisions is trying to go for. Tho I can already sense some teams only have 1-2 player of their last year roster so don't know what is the difference between newly formed team and "original" team with almost whole roster swapped.

So therefore I'm thinking out loud that is it possible to rethink the divisions system so there wont be biased users due to unfair treat?

Some ideas/suggestions to think about and theyre free to use for further thinking :)

1) Should there be just two competive divisions instead of current 3 divisions? Elite division with team number cap between 12 - 20 teams and Pro division open for everyone who wants to play competively. Lite would be for teams that are somehow more casual and it would have its own eco system!

Promotions/relegations scale between Elite and Pro divisions should stay as they are now.

All the newly formed teams who want to play competively would be just one season away of the Elite division so the road wont be so long to the Elite.

2) Should we keep current 3 division system and just add another open division for players who don't want to play competively.

That way we could avoid them 15-0 crushing games between new teams with skilled/elite players and casual chillers who just want to have some fun.Ofc then it would take minimum of 2 seasons for new teams to get into Elite.

3) Is it possible to create cup that takes place at the same time ECL seasons(?). We could use similar format they use in English football (FA-cup).

Then we could see some cross-action between division lines in "serious" games! And them newly formed challengers would have a good spot to show their skills already during their grindfest through lower divisions! And every round should definitely be Bo1 so stakes would be high in every game and this wouldn't take too much time during ECL game weeks. Would love to see lower division team knocking out elite teams in this one!

See you on the ice!

kjkj

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tbnantti said:

And trolling should give you a few minus points. 9_9 Like I said, it was to give people a rough idea of how we could estimate a team's level objectively.

I do agree with you. They already have a similar rep system in place for the your forum persona, but one for your player card is for sure much more interesting. Your idea is something that can personalize the experience of being part of nhlgamer immensely.

Can just keep it simple. 1 p for every game played, 3 points for a goal, and 2 points for assists and 1 points per 10th hit and about 15 points for being part of a winning team in each division.

Problem is that this perhaps takes some serious coding skills. But it's an interesting idea for sure that will work fine, since we all stick with our accounts on this website.

• Administrators

I'm interested to buy Elite team. PM :ph34r:

I think we need to make Lite as competitive as it's possible with this amount of teams and skill cap. Elite and Pro should have both 20 teams. Lite with 40-50 teams and after group stage it forms upper and lower division. In this case new team is playing 5-10 games against lower lite teams. Rest of the season they compete against former midtear pro teams and top lite teams.

Do we need to palce Contender division between Pro and Lite? 

Edited by Nahkatoteemi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, koojiikoojii said:

3) Is it possible to create cup that takes place at the same time ECL seasons(?). We could use similar format they use in English football (FA-cup).

Then we could see some cross-action between division lines in "serious" games! And them newly formed challengers would have a good spot to show their skills already during their grindfest through lower divisions! And every round should definitely be Bo1 so stakes would be high in every game and this wouldn't take too much time during ECL game weeks. Would love to see lower division team knocking out elite teams in this one!

See you on the ice!

kjkj

Yey!

Or we can just make it so that all teams, even the teams in Pro and Lite can win the playoffs in Elite.

As it is right now the top 8 teams in Elite will play the Elite playoff, why not just cut it down to the top 6 teams and give spot number 7 to the best team in Pro and spot number 8 to the best team in Lite. 

*Edit - With automatic promotion for the team in Lite so that new teams, or the best team in Lite could just jump over Pro.

Edited by Peacerich_se

• Administrators

I have good question. I have team with one of the worst records in NHLGamer history. If I somehow manage to get 6 Elite players on my team would my team directly climb from Lite to Pro? Or do i need to form NEW team to do that trick? 

Which of these would be a better option? Tail is wagging the dog in both. 

Edited by Nahkatoteemi