ECL 5 Poll: Should a new team be allowed to apply for ECL Pro?

ECL 5 Poll  

186 members have voted

The results of this poll are hidden permanently..

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, PSchibra said:

Even if this team was average, an average pro team is too good to be in lite. thats why they are in pro not lite in the first place.

I think everyone of us know that best Lite team could be average in Pro. Question is what kind of signal NHLGamer want to show new and old teams in Lite. Seems that we have more teams who wants to play competitively than we have spots open. Do we have sollution to fix that?

• Members

Yes, it's unfair to the franchises grinding that these good players could skip a division, but it's better that they' get into pro if they really are an elite level team. Average (at least bottom/in the middle of bottom and average) pro skilled teams should just go to lite because (as it has been said here) they aren't that far ahead the top lite teams. The reason: "fairness" and all the franchise stuff. Some of you probably think that "Why can't people just register to the right division based on their skill?", that's your opinion and I really don't have a good argument against it other than that in place of them getting straight to pro some already "established" lite team (probably around the same skill level) who just missed the promotion would get the spot 9_9 kiitosanteeksnäkemiin

E: Now that at least most of the teams who were in the wrong division were/are going to be promoted or relegated the lite level might sink but idk yet :x

Edited by Ebinmikka31
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, PSchibra said:
1 hour ago, Nahkatoteemi said:

I think everyone of us know that best Lite team could be average in Pro.

that's why they get promoted...

3 minutes ago, Foppatofflan said:

Apparently all lite teams are horrible, except Old Farts, the team that failed to get promoted out of lite. They are way too good for lite. 

Others get promotion, others try to get promoted and form a new team to gain promotion. What's the difference? Yesterday they was next to god, now even average is enough. Cheeky...

There are spots open in Pro that needs to be filled. To fill these spots some teams need to skip a division. So there is no point discussing is it fair that a team will skip a division, some teams must do this.

Does a Lite team deserve that open spot after they have failed to get a promotion to Pro by playing in Lite? In this case they would be skipping a division too. Because they didn't deserve it by playing. I don't think that Lite team would deserve the open Pro spot any more than a new team. That's why every team should be able to make an application for open Pro spots.

If you want to make it easier for teams in Lite to get in Pro division by playing, simply increace the amount of relegations in Pro and promotions in Lite in ECL seasons. Lite teams must prove they can get to Pro by playing. Just like Pro and Elite teams/players have been doing over the years. If Elite/Pro players form a new team, they would deserve to try get that open spot in Pro by application, those players have proven them over the years, it's not a shortcut.

Edited by Slaivone
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2017 at 8:21 AM, koojiikoojii said:

3) Is it possible to create cup that takes place at the same time ECL seasons(?). We could use similar format they use in English football (FA-cup).

Then we could see some cross-action between division lines in "serious" games! And them newly formed challengers would have a good spot to show their skills already during their grindfest through lower divisions! And every round should definitely be Bo1 so stakes would be high in every game and this wouldn't take too much time during ECL game weeks. Would love to see lower division team knocking out elite teams in this one!

See you on the ice!

kjkj

I like this suggestion a lot.

Lottery on Twitch.

Please NHLGamer, make this happen. = )

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

I did a little research :ph34r:

These things have been already considered in the past. Now we are just trying to ignore them with vote.

Q: Can a team pause/be inactive for a season?

In ECL Elite and ECL Pro, teams can apply to “pause” for one season (in ECL Amateur this is not necessary). This turns them into an inactive team, and they will not participate during that season. They cannot be promoted nor relegated. An inactive team is however expected to play during the following season, otherwise they will lose their current divisional spot. A need for a longer inactivity would have to be brought up with the NHLGamer staff and will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

If an inactive team is not able to keep the amount of necessary players on the inactive roster (4), they will lose their inactive status and drop to division 3 for the next season.

Q: What about newly created teams that consist of established ECL players from several different teams? Do they have to start in ECL Amateur?

Similarly, new teams can apply for Exceptional Team Status in the ECL where they will be allowed to skip ECL Amateur and start in ECL Pro. At this point, new teams cannot apply directly for ECL Elite as it would undermine the idea of working your way up the divisions and staying there based on ECL results.

Had Laser applied the Staff would have granted them this status due to a few factors;

Longevity and reputation (Several top tournament finishes in their history, always considered a top team when participating)
Quality of players (most, if not all, players on the current Laser squad have been leading members and top point producers of teams that finished in the top-4 of both previous tournaments)
EASHL 6vs6 ranking (they are ranked in the Top-10 of all European teams)

When deciding Exceptional status, there will always be a subjective factor involved but bullet points like the ones in the example above will form the basis of any decision made on whether to grant exceptional status or not.

Finally, the term “exceptional status” is there for a reason. These applications will only be granted under very special circumstances.

- Fat Cats lost their inactive status because their players played in other teams in ECL 4. Fat Cats -franchise is now in division 3 (Lite) according to these rules.

- Is average Pro players forming new team "very special circumstace"? 

It's not worth to write up what does not intend to keep.

Edited by Nahkatoteemi

• Editor-in-Chief

The Cup idea sounds awesome! It will give lower-tier teams a chance to show their skill and higher-tier teams maybe an opportunity to give backup players some icetime.
I think it also would make a larger part of the community more engaged.

Regarding the discussion about placement of new teams. I think that if there even needs to be a discussion the new team should be placed in lite. I'm not advocating for ex. a stacked team being placed in lite and wrecking everyone. But if we look at Fat cats I don't think they have proven such dominance that they should be allowed to skip Lite. There is a huge skill difference in that division and I believe that at least top teams will not be giving Fat cats a free pass. It's just a slap in the face for players trying to grind their way to the big stages. I feel the pain for established players who have to step back to Lite for a season, but if you're really on the level you say, it'll be an easy promotion.

Yet again - not saying teams shouldn't be given pro/elite spots, but I just think it's unnecessary to consider if there even needs to be a discussion about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Nahkatoteemi said:

I did a little research :ph34r:

These things have been already considered in the past. Now we are just trying to ignore them with vote.

- Fat Cats lost their inactive status because their players played in other teams in ECL 4. Fat Cats -franchise is now in division 3 (Lite) according to these rules.

- Is average Pro team forming new team "very special circumstace"? 

It's not worth to write up what does not intend to keep.

Slight correction - said article is the very first public concept of the ECL divisions. Many of its rules are outdated and are inaccurate. For example - the two points you brought up have been completely scratched.

Here's a more up-to-date article regarding the current format (still not 100% accurate as we've made some changes over the time): 

• Like 1

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, OxtreeLAT said:

Slight correction - said article is the very first public concept of the ECL divisions. Many of its rules are outdated and are inaccurate. For example - the two points you brought up have been completely scratched.

Nice to hear from you guys and thanks for clarification. However this does not remove the question of can team be inactive/on pause when players play in other teams? If team is just name not players it makes interesting possibilities. It feels like you didn't think that there is such a possibility of digging an old name into use.

Edited by Nahkatoteemi

• Administrators

Q: Can an ECL Elite or ECL Pro team pause/be inactive for a season?

Inactive teams will be relegated.

Example: An ECL Elite team decides to skip a season. This means they will play in ECL Pro for their next season.

Hey I did this for you Fat Cats, I prove that you have privilege to Pro spot! You're welcome. According to the rules I have to admit being wrong. 

To return to the original question I'm still voting No. :D

26 minutes ago, jahajaha93 said:

There is a huge skill difference in that division and I believe that at least top teams will not be giving Fat cats a free pass. It's just a slap in the face for players trying to grind their way to the big stages. I feel the pain for established players who have to step back to Lite for a season, but if you're really on the level you say, it'll be an easy promotion.

You say it is an easy promotion for a team that thinks they are good enough to skip lite.

At the same time you say that the top teams of Lite are good enough to skip Lite next season but they did not succeed on that 'easy promotion'.

It's not a slap to their face if they do not get free pass to Pro, which they did not deserve by playing. They should take responsibility for their performance last season and prove they belong to Pro and get that promotion by playing.

Open Pro spots should be open by application for everyone, new or old team. Team that finished strong in Lite last season would still have pretty good chances to get a spot.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nahkatoteemi said:

Nice to hear from you guys and thanks for clarification. However this does not remove the question of can team be inactive/on pause when players play in other teams? If team is just name not players if makes interesting possibilities. It feels like you didn't think that there is such a possibility of digging an old name into use.

Well it was already answered in my previous post. In the current system there is no such thing as "inactive/on pause" status. Simply put - there's no way for a team to reserve or hold onto a spot if they decide to skip a season (e.g., Fat Cats have lost their Elite spot).

There's no way to "dig an old name into use". Team captains own the rights to both - the name and the respective spot in the current divisions format.

That said, if someone wants to use a name of a past team that is currently inactive, they would have to approach LA and present their case. Furthermore - this wouldn't transfer any past achievements/progress. In addition it would most likely have to be a team that has been inactive for multiple seasons.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

@OxtreeLAT Once you are here to answer my questions can I ask something more?  Why are we even voting on this? Is there more teams to come than Fat Cats? You have had the opportunity to take Team straight in all the time. This vote is just getting mandate from Pro and Elite teams to piss off rest of us.

Q: What about newly created teams that consist of established ECL players from several different teams? Where do they start?

Upon signing up for ECL Season 4, teams are expected to express their wishes for their placement. If your team wants to start in the Lite division, simply state so in your registration. It is not possible to register for ECL Elite.

While we will do our best to honour the wishes, whether a new team participates in Pro or Lite will be determined by the NHLGamer Staff based on
the following criteria (in no particular order):

Players on the team
Team history
Stats from previous seasons (if available)
EASHL 6vs6 ranking and stats
We admit there is always a risk for subjectivity, but feel like this is the best approach. Obviously this is only necessary when exceeding 48 registrations, but based on the amount of new teams we're hearing about, we expect this to be the case.

Remember, ECL Divisions is all about longevity and building Franchises - consistency and good roster management are key to qualifying as one of the best professional teams on the planet.

1 hour ago, swe best sniper said:

Yo 

I have one question.  We made New team.  We have one elite player and rest of us are pro players.  Can we take one of our player old team spot or do we have To start In lite

If some of you was captain of a team, then yes. Otherwise i think no chance.

18 minutes ago, Nahkatoteemi said:

@OxtreeLAT Once you are here to answer my questions can I ask something more?  Why are we even voting on this? Is there more teams to come than Fat Cats? You have had the opportunity to take Team straight in all the time. This vote is just getting mandate from Pro and Elite teams to piss off rest of us.

I think there is atleast 4 "new" teams coming, probably more.

3 minutes ago, Nahkatoteemi said:

This explains why so many here thinks that average team is good enough to get promoted straight up to Pro. 

But dumping all these teams to lite, would be much harder for lite teams to get promoted after. If these teams or atleast some of these teams get spot on pro, it would also mean better chances for lite teams to get promoted next season. Teams will break every season and new teams will be created. If all new teams will always go to lite then those "almost got promoted" lite teams are stuck in the limbo... forever...

• Like 2